Dalmatian Hermann’s Tortoise Personality?

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I was reviewing my notes (I’m between Golden Greek and Dalmatian Hermann’s) and realized that I have nothing on Dalmatian Hermann’s besides “kinda shy”. What is their personality like? Are they friendly or shy? Are they active or lazy? I’d love to see pictures of your babies if you guys have any. Thanks so much!!! :)

Diamond

phoenix,az
I have a Dalmatian and he is not shy. He loves being outside in his enclosure. I bring him in to his indoor enclosure in the evening and back out in the morning for the day. He is a good eater and does not mind the occasional head scratch. He seems to be more active than my Russian tort. Hope this helps.:tort:

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri
@Diamond

Hello! Thanks so much for the response! For some reason I just couldn’t find much on Dalmatian Hermann’s personality. It’s good to know that yours is not shy and is active :) I definitely want a more lively tortoise. I know their personalities can vary on individual tortoise, but it’s good to know regardless!

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I have a Dalmatian Hermann's that I got as a hatchling years ago and have raised. He's very personable and always comes out to greet me and sniff my shoes while I'm in his enclosure (serving food, cleaning up, etc). I spray his enclosure daily (I live in Arizona and temps get hot), and I always make sure to shower him...just to watch him dance. It's like scratching an itch on the rear end of his shell - he will stick his whole backside up in the air as high as he can and shakes his butt back and forth. None of my other torts do a rain dance. He's quite the character!

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri
@irishkitty

That’s so adorable that yours will do a “rain dance”! I like how he’ll come over to greet you when you go into his enclosure. I definitely want a more friendly tortoise species, not one of the super shy species.
Thanks so much for the response!

EdMurphy

Minnesota
I have a Dalmatian Hermann's that I got as a hatchling years ago and have raised. He's very personable and always comes out to greet me and sniff my shoes while I'm in his enclosure (serving food, cleaning up, etc). I spray his enclosure daily (I live in Arizona and temps get hot), and I always make sure to shower him...just to watch him dance. It's like scratching an itch on the rear end of his shell - he will stick his whole backside up in the air as high as he can and shakes his butt back and forth. None of my other torts do a rain dance. He's quite the character!

My russian will do this same thing with a scratch on the rear of the shell, face down, butt up and move back and forth. I thought maybe it was a breeding thing since she is a female but if yours is a male that shoots that down. Never fails to make me laugh.