Damaged thorns on front leg. Kobe (18yrs) is fenced in a 16’x16’’ square 20 inches high.

KOBEATL

5 Year Member
Kobe (18 yr old male) is housed in a 16’x16’ outdoor square, 20 inches high. Using his front legs,he tries non-stop to clime out. Overtime, I have noticed that he has significant wear on his thorns on his front legs - thorn have worn flat. For cold weather times, I have him in an insulated heated house outdoors. He does the same thing. I am concern that this could very diasterous. Any suggestions?
Gustave

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I got nothing, but I know you'll get asked: what kind of tortoise and where are you... (and photos of him/his legs will also be helpful)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's trying to get out because the area is too small. The only way to fix it is give him more space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's trying to get out because the area is too small. The only way to fix it is give him more space.
I agree with Yvonne. 50x50 is my minimum, and 100x50 or more is much better for them. I keep little juveniles in a 25x35 foot pen. 16x16 is way too small.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I agree the area is smaller than recommend but if this restless behavior is something new he is trying to get away from something. Or he is trying to get to something which could be diet related. Even in a smaller enclosure a contented tortoise with everything it requires will not constantly try to escape. When I notice a behavior change in one of my tortoises it's usually calcium related or I've added something new into it's area.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Not only too small but not high enough. 20 inches? Can he see outside of the pen? How big is he? Can we see some pictures of him and the pen?