Dang little bulldozers...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Has anyone successfully kept live plants- either aquatic, marsh or regular garden plants- ALIVE in a turtle tank?
So far, everything I've tried gets trampled to oblivion fairly quickly...☹️
I'd really like my tanks to be prettier and more naturalistic. ?‍♀️

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Has anyone successfully kept live plants- either aquatic, marsh or regular garden plants- ALIVE in a turtle tank?
So far, everything I've tried gets trampled to oblivion fairly quickly...☹️
I'd really like my tanks to be prettier and more naturalistic. ?‍♀️
I have with water hyacinth and sometimes duckweed(depends on the turtles appetite). I use a regular incandescent bulb and a zilla strip light desert uvb fixture. Works great. I don't do as many water changes. I allow the turtle feces and sometimes un eaten food to provide nutrients for the plants. As well as the beneficial bacteria coming from the filter.

Attachments

• 16350015311678654561966853087501.jpg
    16350015311678654561966853087501.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I have water hyacinth in with my spotted turtles it takes a lot of light but holds up to turtles fairly well. Unless it’s a turtle that eats plants. I also have a philodendron potted up on the basking platform and it trails in to the water and roots very nicely View attachment 334978
Beautiful. I can't wait to find me a group next year. Good point.Also, water heaters help used for fish tanks. I keep mine around 84 degrees F.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have with water hyacinth and sometimes duckweed(depends on the turtles appetite). I use a regular incandescent bulb and a zilla strip light desert uvb fixture. Works great. I don't do as many water changes. I allow the turtle feces and sometimes un eaten food to provide nutrients for the plants. As well as the beneficial bacteria coming from the filter.
Great! Thanks for the suggestions!
I’ve tried water hyacinth before, but I suspect I didn’t have enough light for it to stay healthy.
??