Dangerous lighting setup? Fire hazard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
Hmmm....I have been scratching my head over this one for the last few days:

I have a 18'' 15W T8 repti glo 5.0 tube and a recently bought 48'' T8 repti glo 2.0 tube. Both of those were suppose to add extra light in addition to my mvb.

I have read on the forum many times that a "normal" light fixture from a hardware store can be used with these lights. I went for that, and bought 2 fixtures (a 18'' and 47'' fixture).

The 18'' one has been working for months and the 47'' just the last few days. Both worked, BUT i noticed by chance that the 47'' one was running really hot. I turned them both off and after some thinking and checking found that the 18'' tube is rated at 15W and the fixture is rated at 14W. The longer 47'' tube is rated at 40W and the fixture at 36W.

After going to several stores and checking online I see that all normal T8 18'' fixtures are rated for 14W and all 48'' fixtures are rated at 36W.

Does this mean that the Repti glo tubes can only safely run in the expensive exo-terra fixtures?? I really need some help to figure this out.

Jd3

5 Year Member
The fixture sets the wattage and it doesn't matter what the bulb says. Most people think this is pet companies trying to screw people with something proprietary.

It is fine.

The cheaper magnetic ballasts do get warm. It isn't a problem and not because of the bulbs. Most of us have done this for years. A decade here... No issue at all.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Agreed, fixture sets the output. If the fixture output is 36W and tube is 40w doesn't it mean the tube will be giving less output, and thus less UVB? If so is 4 watt difference noticeable or negligible?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Jd3 said:
The fixture sets the wattage and it doesn't matter what the bulb says. Most people think this is pet companies trying to screw people with something proprietary.

It is fine.

The cheaper magnetic ballasts do get warm. It isn't a problem and not because of the bulbs. Most of us have done this for years. A decade here... No issue at all.

Thank you :) Now I understand. And you are right. The 48'' fixture that got really hot I bought used, it was at least 10 years old and therefore most likely had a magnetic ballast. I just went to the store and got a new one that says it has an electric ballast.

Jd3

5 Year Member
I'm willing to bet the ballast in a reptile branded fixture is actually rated the same as any other. I swear on my soul I think that it is entirely a marketing ploy. They do this crap with aquarium lights too.

I think people often forget that the ballast controls output since it is the opposite of how incandescent fixtures work.

Also, the heat while warm, is still relative.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the wattage of the fixture is smaller then the bulb, doesn't that shorten the life of the bulb? I also, thought it would blow the bulb?

Jd3

5 Year Member
If the wattage of the fixture is lower it will under power. If it his higher, it overdrives the bulb. It will shorten it some, but a few watts is negligible. Aquarium users use to overdrive 1.5 or 2x and still get plenty of life.

Under powered bulbs should not have a shorter life.

The biggest problem with bulbs of all types is cycling. On/off. The less the better. That is usually what kills mvb bulbs.

Under powering should not cause the bulb to blow. And I don't actually think these are being underpowered....

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Wow...lots of good info here, someone should make a short "article" informing people about this fixture/tube 36W/40W issue.

Just to let you know, I put the 47'' inch repti glo tube in my new electrically ballasted fixture that i bought for 20 dollars. It has been running all day and its not getting hot like my old fixture did.

My tort Helios and I thank you all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.