Danny Goes to England, I Just Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I just got back a couple of days ago from my six weeks of vacation. Unlike Danny, I spent my vacation at home. :D I have always held dear time at home with my brats (human and the other critters) and my yard. With driving the semitruck with Jeff, home has even become more precious to me.

The time at home revived me and gave me a chance to reconnect with the kids and animals. Time flew and it felt like a week not six weeks.

I didn't get everything done that I planned to, but then who ever does? I came home to a litter of three day old kittens and had the pleasure of watching them grow and turn into such a playful threesome. Unfortunately they weren't old enough for me to include their mother in the trip with 6 other cats to be spayed/neutered.

My youngest son graduated, which allowed me to let out the breath I had been holding. :D So much pride watching him spread his wings and become his own person. He gave up a lot to allow me to try spreading my own wings and learn to drive the truck. Josh cares for the animals, when I am out on the road., which can be tedious and does tire you down. I think I did finally get him to call the sulcata a sulcata rather then a Greek. :rolleyes:

For years I have worked to tempt hummingbirds to the yard. Imagine my delight during my last days to see that atleast four were fighting over the feeders. Dee, as my daughter Ash and I sat watching them one night, I told her about your home. How you had a big window by your table looking out onto the hummer's feeder (and fishpond and tortoise pen). Your feeder was Grand Central Station at rush hour. I told her your window is my dream situation. :cool: Am getting closer too. :D

The best part of vacation, was when Jeff came home. Those three days were spent putting up a security fence on one corner of the yard. Inside are three temporary pens. The Redfoot and the Cherryhead pens are about 15' by 30' each and Dove, the Leopard, has one about 5' by 20'. I don't think Dove moved more then 2' in her first days out there, but the other 8 tortoises (4 each of the RF and the Cherries) seemed happy.

With Josh's help (he dug the holes) we relocated about a patch 6' by 5' of daylilies, about as many hostas, 15 grape vines, three rose bushes and assorted other plants. Thank goodness I had done seeding of greens a couple of weeks earlier. My back and knees sure aren't what they use to be.

I think the best part was having two of my children (Ash and Josh) helping us. The two kids had competitions going on mixing the cement for the post holes. They were just so funny. The moment was maybe more meaningful knowing the days of them being at home for this type of activity are quickly becoming rare. The messages and handprints we left in the wet cement will always be a prized part of the yard for me.

We are back out on the road resting up from our days off "vacationing" at home. I missed not getting much time on line these last weeks, but I got a lot more done without the temptation of a handy computer/laptop. :D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jacqui
I am glad you had a wonderful 6 weeks of vacation, o boy you did a lot during those 6 weeks :D I love being home during vacation :D. Congratulations, you must be so proud of Josh, Graduation is a big step :D. It must have been so fun to be with your husband and 2 kids doing some modification in your yard :D
Have you ever thought of becoming an author? I love the way you write, it is always so well written and so intersting. If one day, you are ready to do the big step, I will buy your book for sure:D.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You really DO have a way with words....and I too always enjoy your posts. I NEVER go on vacation....but then again I don't work. Wait a minute.....raising 5 boys ....now that's WORK. I guess as long as I can sit in my yard with a nice Carmel Latte Espresso I'm OK.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Sounds absolutely wonderful! I was reading this post now, thinking I had written something already, but I must have thought of writing,and didn't?!?! Major confusion haha

I love vacations at home, you get to do so much, even if it's not on your list of things to do!:p
Sounds like you had a wonderful bonding time, which to me is the best holiday ever!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Jacqui, I am so glad you got to spend time at home. I am really glad your getting humming birds! Our feeder is packed again and we have added another out front which is getting alot of use. I am sure shy little Dove will get used to her enclosure!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jacqui, sounds like you had a wonderful 6 weeks. For those who stay home a vacation away is always something to look forward to. But for those who’s jobs are away from home like yours the perfect vacation is always home, with family and loved ones. Times to cherish and memories made. Glad you enjoyed your vacation so much.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I love hummingbirds !!! They are SOOOOO beautiful and kinda, majestic...thats the word :) I've only ever seen ONE in 'person', it was in Namibia outside the lodge I was staying at....it came every morning at Sunrise to to eat the honeysuckle :) Was incredible to watch - you sure are lucky!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Last year we saw one on the hibiscus tree, so this year I bought a humming bird feeder. Is there anything special I should put in there....just water and sugar? I can't wait to see if any come.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
terryo said:
Last year we saw one on the hibiscus tree, so this year I bought a humming bird feeder. Is there anything special I should put in there....just water and sugar? I can't wait to see if any come.

That is what my grandma put, sugar and water :D, they are so beautiful, there are plenty near my grandma's country house :D, I love just staying on the porch and look at them drink and I love the sound they make with their little wings.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Terry, We boil 4 cups of water and add a cup of sugar. Stir until disolved. Then just cool it. You can store extra in the fridge if you need to. We probably fill ours once a week.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you. I'm going to hang it up as soon as it stops raining...It is 55 degrees here now. I found Izzy...she was dug under ..deep...and brought her back in this morning. I hope she doesn't get sick.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Isa said:
Jacqui
Have you ever thought of becoming an author? I love the way you write, it is always so well written and so intersting. If one day, you are ready to do the big step, I will buy your book for sure:D.

:D Thank you for your kind comment and even tho I would dearly love to write a book, I simply do not have that much talent. What I would love to do however, is write a book about Hingebacks.

jlyoncc1 said:
Terry, We boil 4 cups of water and add a cup of sugar. Stir until disolved. Then just cool it. You can store extra in the fridge if you need to. We probably fill ours once a week.

That's what I do when I am at home. Except we do the change out every three days. Remember they don't eat that much (unless your talking Dee's horde :D), so I only put about 1-2 inches into the feeder at one time.

When on the road, I help the kids out a bit and buy the already made and ready to go into the feeder food. More expensive, but easier. :rolleyes:

terryo said:
Thank you. I'm going to hang it up as soon as it stops raining...It is 55 degrees here now. I found Izzy...she was dug under ..deep...and brought her back in this morning. I hope she doesn't get sick.

Izzy was smart and buried down. She should be fine.

Now I am going to tell on my son, Josh. Josh has this really bad habit of drinking things straight from the container from the frig. Drives me up the wall.

Last year for the first time I made the homemade sugar water hummer food. I placed it into a specially bought jar. I made my first batch and filled up the feeder. Leaving the jar half full of this cloudy white fluid.

Later in the evening I was sitting on the couch reading a book, when Josh came home. I didn't think anything about it, as he went to the frig. I hear him open the door and then suddenly he was spluttering and muttering. He had saw the jar, thought "Hmmm Mom made some lemonaide or something" and had taken a big swallow. :D

This year, when the first jar went into the frig it was colored red. Josh came in, opened the frig, saw the jar and thought "Hmmm Mom got some juice!", lifted the jar to his mouth....and happened to look at the jar's label just before taking a swallow. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.