Danny & the Pros! Male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseydiann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
Ok so I decided to go ahead and get the hingeback, got him/her last night!

No clue if it's male or female.
Not sure what kind of hingeback it is.
And no idea on the age.
And does it look pretty healthy?

So if you guys could help me out here it's would be great!
Thanks so much..

I have a good feeling it's a male..

I've done my homework and read alot on them. I see they can have alot of different things to eat but does anyone own any of these guys and know "the best" diet for them?

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Looks like a little lady to me! I would also says Homes Hingeback as the subspecies.

What a pretty tort! I love her face

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Thank you, yes she is or he is pretty. And the guy at the pet shop said he was told from his supplier it was a forest but I also think Homes..

By looking at the tail and the way it holds it I'm thinking male but would happy with a female lol..

Oop's forgot to measure it for you guys to help me with the age thing BRB with that..

Ok IF I did this right, it is right at 6 1/2 inches :) is it a full grown adult?

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You have an adult female Homes. How are going set her up? She is a forest tort and as such needs a humid, low light enviorment with plenty of fruits, invertebrate prey, and greens. She is a good looking girl.

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Thank you.. So that's 2 people now saying female! But what makes you think it's a female lol, how can you tell?

I had her/him in a large kiddie pool on Cypress mulch with hides, a saoking dish, 2 heat lamps, 24" UVB bulb, cuddle bone ect.. HOWEVER it's so long/tall that it got out of the pool.

I have a huge pen built outside with a nice concrete pond, flowers, ect.. But how do I keep it 80% humidity lol?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What is your outside enclosure for the three-toed like ? You would set her up the same with plenty of foliage, hideing spots, and substrate to attract bugs and worms (like loose leaves). I run a sprinkler to recreate daily rainfall. Inside I cover the enclosure 2/3 and mist 2 or 3 times a day for humidity and use a humis/hardwood mulch substrate. Mushrooms are favorite treat.

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Itort said:
What is your outside enclosure for the three-toed like ? You would set her up the same with plenty of foliage, hideing spots, and substrate to attract bugs and worms (like loose leaves). I run a sprinkler to recreate daily rainfall. Inside I cover the enclosure 2/3 and mist 2 or 3 times a day for humidity and use a humis/hardwood mulch substrate. Mushrooms are favorite treat.

Mushrooms are favorite treat?? What kind?

I have like 15 adult eastern boxies outside.

I take the water hose and mist the whole enclosure down about 3 times a week if it don't rain and clean the pond out alot..

Thanks will have to try that..

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I feed the white mushrooms from the grocery.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am joining the group with voting for female. Her tail isn't appearing long is what I am going by.

Is she eating well for you? She looks very beautiful. Is she out going or shy? Mine like attention for food, but don't really enjoy handling.

Along with mushrooms try cantalope and earthworms (two other most often loved foods).

Like Larry said lots of humidity. The dense plantings, waterings, misting, and especially having the pool to get into for a soak. They like lots of hides no matter if indoor or outside.

Inside I would lose the UV light and heat lights and just go with normal summer temps...unless your home is kept really cool.

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Cool, thanks.. I'll do that..

I can't compare the tails though as I don't have a male lol bummer :(

Does anyone have tail pic's of a male, to see the difference?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
When the hingeback is closed up, in the male the tip of the tail easily touchs the rear foot.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Joseydiane, I know nothing about hingebacks but she is beautiful I love her carapace pattern..

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Great guys, thanks so much for the help and advice? So now who is helping me out with a male to go with her lol? HAHA..

Ok so then she is not done growing yet at only 6 1/2 inches but still an adult right?

And everyone so far is guessing she's a homes? Not a forest?

And thank you, yes she is pretty and very friendly too..

Humm what does Reputation mean on here, I see some people have point by their names and other's don't???

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The big difference between an erosa and a homes is the abrupt angle on the rear of the carapace (I call it the cliff). A male may become available and until then learn from her. She's beautiful girl and will reach 8 to 9 inches in length.

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
So then you think it is a homes, cool? Oh I'm set now I was just wondering about age and checking in about the sex. I have other torts and about 30 Box turtles, and then we have alot of lizards lol.
But yeah I'll be searching for her some company.
She ate good today and soaked for a while and is very active and friendly. I'm very pleased and happy I got her.
I work with the guy at the pet shop he sells alot of my reptiles for me and he couldn't sell her and was having a hard time keeping up her humidity ect so asked if I'd take her.. I gave him a baby dragon to replace her.. Was worth it, now just need a male..

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
To be honest last night, when I saw Danny had ID this as an Erosa, I looked and looked at the pictures, but still saw a Homes. Not wanting to go in unarmed and thinking I missed something vitial, I sent a picture to a person to another hingeback person. He too agrees with us that it is a Homes.

I think Danny thought one thing and typed another. :cool: However if you do see it as an Erosa Danny, please tell us what your seeing to lead you there.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Sorry about confusing everybody :p I meant the link I was sending was of K.erosa and not K.homeana.
K. homeana is what you have :D You are though better off keeping her alone, even if you do get a male. You should only put them together for breeding purposes.

Danny

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
egyptiandan said:
K. homeana is what you have :D You are though better off keeping her alone, even if you do get a male. You should only put them together for breeding purposes.

Danny

This is one area where Danny and I will disagree. His experience was that they did poorly together, while mine has shown they do fine in groups. I think we are both correct depending on the individual animals. Of course, if you do get another hingeback, then you would have to keep them apart for their quarantine periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.