Darwin's country house

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
The Sun's out today and it's going to hit 80 in my corner of NH, so I set up Darwin's small outside enclosure.

IMG_9361.jpg

He's got food and water and shade and shelter and I've been working outside near him to keep an eye on him and he seems to be having fun exploring his new surroundings, nibbling his way through the grass, and working on his tan.

IMG_9386.jpg

I'm working on a 6x8 greenhouse for him... to protect him from cool days and hawks when he spends longer periods of time outside.

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The Sun's out today and it's going to hit 80 in my corner of NH, so I set up Darwin's small outside enclosure.

View attachment 272644

He's got food and water and shade and shelter and I've been working outside near him to keep an eye on him and he seems to be having fun exploring his new surroundings, nibbling his way through the grass, and working on his tan.

View attachment 272645

I'm working on a 6x8 greenhouse for him... to protect him from cool days and hawks when he spends longer periods of time outside.

Jamie

Wow! Hot Sun in New Hampshire, nice green grass, dandelions AND a scrumptious hibiscus flower to boot. The envy of all torts.

I doubt u have to really worry about hawks swooping in and grabbing a big old pound of Redfoot tortoise. I doubt the hawks would even see your tort as a lunchtime meal. A mouse or guinea pig or lizard/snake - yes; but not your guy!

Can’t wait to see the greenhouse.

Good luck.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hawks & other birds of prey should not be your big worry. Crows & ravens should be, if you have them there. Nice enclosure.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
After about an hour in the enclosure it rained for a few minutes, and I loved watching him react to his first ever rainstorm... he craned his neck to hold his head straight up as far as high as it world go, looking up at the heavens, wondering.

J

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_9473.jpg

Darwin enjoying a picnic in his outside enclosure.

IMG_9482.jpg
I adjusted the slats to provide less shade and more of a barrier to any birds that my be out looking for lunch.

IMG_9480.jpg

After munching on some Mazuri he went over to drink and then eventually wade in his water dish.

Jamie

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

View attachment 272644

View attachment 272645

Jamie
I love those slotting in blocks that you have. (I have not seen those where we are - very clever) I am presuming if you want to, you can just swap the planks out with longer ones if you wanted. Brilliant idea.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I love those slotting in blocks that you have. (I have not seen those where we are - very clever) I am presuming if you want to, you can just swap the planks out with longer ones if you wanted. Brilliant idea.

I found the slats in our garage, they were from an old bed frame.

I'm planning on adding 8' boards along one side to increase his space.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I found the slats in our garage, they were from an old bed frame.

I'm planning on adding 8' boards along one side to increase his space.

Jamie
I think she was asking about the corner pieces.