Darwin's growth

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello TFO,

I love my redfoot Darwin, I feel as though I'm providing him a good home, and he seems happy and healthy ... lately I've been wondering if he's growing too fast.

I don't want to kill him with kindness, and overfeeding.

IMG_8877.jpg

Since he's come to live with me, he's grown at a relatively constant rate, but it seems much faster than some other redfoots I've been reading about, here and on FB.

IMG_8879.jpg

He's almost nine months old, has a carapace length of 12cm and weighs 293g ... he's more than quadrupled in weight since coming to live with me, but the Donahue ratio has him at a 0.89, which is slightly underweight for his length.

IMG_8883.jpg

His shell and legs and eyes and tail all look good to my untrained eyes, but I'd love your thoughts.

IMG_8884.jpg

His enclosure is currently a 2X4 sealed system which allows me to maintain temp and humidity in the 80s, I have him on a 12/12 light cycle, he seems to enjoy his hides and exploring the plants and soaking bowl and basking spot on his own schedule.

IMG_8886.jpg

I soak him daily, at which time I also feed him a mix of greens and fruits and veggies, with occasional protein; when he's done soaking I put him and the leftover food back in his enclosure, then repeat the process the next day (with generally one day of "fasting" per week).

IMG_8888.jpg

I'd very much appreciate your input, specifically about whether I should cut down on his feedings, if he looks ok to you, and parts of his regimen I could improve to better assure his confined health.

Thanks,

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks great to me I wouldn't change anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never looked at the Donohue chart, but I had the idea that it was mainly for the testudo species of tortoise.

I wouldn't worry about your tortoise. It looks great. You're doing something right.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I've never looked at the Donohue chart, but I had the idea that it was mainly for the testudo species of tortoise.

I wouldn't worry about your tortoise. It looks great. You're doing something right.

Thanks, my understanding is that the Donahue formula was developed based on 11 various species of tortoises and box turtles, but I think the general nature of the study is both a strength and a weakness.

Again, thanks for your feedback ... I so value the people of TFO, and their experience.

Jamie