De-Worming Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
So, I took Dante to the vet a couple weeks ago because his pooping schedule was off (wasn't pooping freely, needed a bath to stimulate him to poop. But, he'd make up for it when he finally went), and I figured it was time for a check-up. Overall he is healthy, but a little underweight, most likely from parasites. So, I gave him an oral medication for three days. Tonight, he had live worms in his poop!

That's a normal part of the de-worming process, right?? I'm just extremely grossed out and far more traumatized than Dante, but since the vet is closed until tomorrow morning, (and since it's a holiday weekend, I don't know if the tort vert is in) I wanted to see if anyone here knows the de-worming process.

And he'll be going back to the vet in another 2 weeks anyway to follow-up. Will he likely need another round of de-worming?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The de-wormer kills todays worms, but there are still worm eggs floating around inside the tortoise. So another treatment in 10 days or so, will take care of those parasites that weren't killed off the first time. Your baby must have really had a load for you to see them in the stool...its perfectly normal.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Glad to hear its normal!! :) Dante is no baby though, he's nine (I've only had him for a few months).

I'll definitely follow up then!

Status
Not open for further replies.