Dead offspring sulcata egg

kazjimmy

Location (City and/or State)
baldwin park
I have one clutch of sulcata baby coming out this week. However one dead.

I don’t understand why it breaks the egg shell but did not make it out.

IMG_1846.jpgIMG_1847.jpgIMG_1849.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
That's to bad. Looks so peaceful though.
Just read another thread about a members clutch not hatching. The last egg they broke apart themselves and saved the tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That happens so much it has a name - dead-in-the-shell. If the rest of the babies are hatching ok and their yolk is absorbed, that means this one died quite a while ago, as he has a very large yolk that is not absorbed. The gasses from him dying probably caused the shell to break.

I'm sorry you lost this one. Hopefully someone else will have some words of wisdom for us.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
That happens so much it has a name - dead-in-the-shell. If the rest of the babies are hatching ok and their yolk is absorbed, that means this one died quite a while ago, as he has a very large yolk that is not absorbed. The gasses from him dying probably caused the shell to break.

I'm sorry you lost this one. Hopefully someone else will have some words of wisdom for us.

No. He break the shell by himself but didn’t make it. This is different then deaf in the shell. I wanna know anyone has the answers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of them don't develop properly. Just the way it works. Like a birth defect of sorts. Happens in all animals.

Did you add moisture when they started pipping? I will usually put some more water into the media and sometimes spray them too. The extra humidity and moisture helps them get out.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
Some of them don't develop properly. Just the way it works. Like a birth defect of sorts. Happens in all animals.

Did you add moisture when they started pipping? I will usually put some more water into the media and sometimes spray them too. The extra humidity and moisture helps them get out.

Yes. I spray water. Maybe you guys were right. It’s just the way it works.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Hello there I am so so sorry to hear about your tort... I have just had the exact same problem this year with eggs. Out of 6 eggs I had 1 hatch all the others I broke open at 92 days and they were all developed like my bubba who hatched had an egg tooth but never made it out of the eggs.. I don't have any idea why it happens but it seems to happen alot.. I also had 2 snapper eggs one of which hatched 2 days ago and the other yesterday but the one who hatched yesterday has no plastron and his heart and everything is visible. My guess is natural selection, some survive while others don't when there is no good reason why. I'm so sorry for your baby. God bless you. Prayers sent your way.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
It was @Turtle girl 98 who has responded to this thread. I think her survivor Bubba is still doing good.
Yes bubba is doing very well. The others I have no idea what happened. The only thought I have is natural selection. Bubba made it while the others didn't for no apparent reason.. it really sucks. Don't beat yourself up. I beat myself up and still do for the babies not hatching but I know there wasn't anything I really could've done, I tried my best. You tried your best. Next clutch we will both know exactly what we are doing and what to look for. I am so sorry your baby didn't make it. That is so hard to see. I cried when I saw all of mine died.. do you have any babies who hatched? I'm sorry I will go back and re read your thread. If you want you can pm me and we can talk about incubating and how it all went. Keep your head up incubating is waaay harder than I anticipated..