dead plants

Location (City and/or State)
Wake Forest, North Carolina
i have a russian and he lives in an indoor and outdoor terrarium. his outdoor terrarium has live plants in it. i bought a seed mix from tortoise supply and grew my own live plants outside for him in his terrarium and they were growing so well. little tort of mine loves to move around and walk all over them now and all the plants i grew for him are smushed. does anyone know a solution for this or have experienced something similar and know how to prevent/fix it?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
This is a common problem :)
For decorative plants (such as spider plants, ferns and such) you can use hanging pots, wall pots and such.
Edible plants can be grown in plant trays and then swapped as necessary (one tray with growing plants is out of the enclosure, the other one is in the enclosure).
Generally, try to sow or place plants out of "high traffic" areas such as wall perimeter or near dishes.

Can you add some photos of the enclosures? It would be easier to come up with good ideas.

Last edited:
Wake Forest, North Carolina
hi
Hello!
This is a common problem :)
For decorative plants (such as spider plants, ferns and such) you can use hanging pots, wall pots and such.
Edible plants can be grown in plant trays and then swapped as necessary (one tray with growing plants is out of the enclosure, the other one is in the enclosure).
Generally, try to sow or place plants out of "high traffic" areas such as wall perimeter or near dishes.

Can you add some photos of the enclosures? It would be easier to come up with good ideas.
hi! thanks for responding! i think you’re right that i should grow some outside and then put them in the terrarium for him.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
hi

hi! thanks for responding! i think you’re right that i should grow some outside and then put them in the terrarium for him.
Try what's working best for you and your tortoise. They have different habits and behaviour.

Mine never eats potted or growing plants in the enclosure (only pothos) but rushes through foliage and pushes pots without mercy. So I had to hang pots on the walls and grow something only out of her way.