Dead Sea Turtles Found on Tangier Island, Virginia (sad)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
3E41098B-AC07-44D6-B76B-9D0EAF1A0C94.jpeg

FC081FA6-D843-4C5E-81C9-1D315EDA043A.jpeg

829F96DA-A7C9-4810-994E-F66FD29931A9.jpeg

These are all pix of the juvenile. I’ll find the pix of one of the adults and post thst as well.

Thoughts on the species?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Darn I hate seeing these beautiful creatures dead. Sure hope it's just the three and not an epidemic

I should have also noted that the two very large ones 100-150 lbs, were beached and located about 25 yards from one another.
Kind of shocking to witness.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ridley but won't bet the farm on it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I didnt realize that I had snapped a picture of our beach landing before spotting the juvenile. Here you can see it up on the sand.

947037F3-90C8-4436-9097-7312C136C33A.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Those are DBT'S not sea turtles. Sad either way.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Here are two separate pix of the second large/adult turtles we paddled by on Sunday.

Kind of graphic so I’ll just post as a thumbnail.

2B8F9AA2-18E8-46DA-B2C0-9B9F127C525C.jpeg 2E6B16FF-88FE-4C77-BAB1-A44802377BAF.jpeg

The Chesapeake Bay Foundation runs a large research facility on Tangier. We passed word along to alert them to these two big guys, just in case they wanted to go retrieve and determine cause of death.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here are two separate pix of the second large/adult turtles we paddled by on Sunday.

View attachment 273382 View attachment 273383

The Chesapeake Bay Foundation runs a large research facility on Tangier. We passed word along to alert them to these two big guys, just in case they wanted to go retrieve and determine cause of death.
Ya those look like sea turtles, shame.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wasnt sure if it was a Diamond Back turtle or other. I’ll post a pix of the large one as well. Somehow i don’t think it’s a DBT. But you are right sad. //still looking through pix from our trip //[/QUOTE

View attachment 273382 View attachment 273383

I wonder if the fact hat they're on their back means anything.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
We’re getting some movement on this issue.

I’ve reported the info to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, it’s now also being reported to the Virginia Aquarium who reportedly monitor all kinds of issues.

• The Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center Stranding Response Program is responsible for rendering aid to all marine mammals and sea turtles that come ashore in Virginia. Whether sick, injured, dead, or entrapped and unable to return to their natural habitats, the Stranding Program works to examine these animals and provide the most humane course of action given the situation. Since the program's inception, over 20 years ago, the Stranding Response team has responded to thousands of stranded marine mammals and sea turtles. Learn more about the important work that the Stranding team does on our blog here. To report a stranded marine mammal or sea turtle, please call us on the 24 hour Stranding Hotline at (757) 385-7575.

Another person heard from local residents that “So far this year most of the turtles have suffered prop hits”. Not a good thing if you’re a turtle.

Lastly, a kayaker friend of mine is President of the Mid-Atlantic Tortoise and Turtle Society - so i shared the info with him as well. Coincidentally, they were on a kayaking trip in the Chesapeake Bay over the weekend and “saved” three youngsters.

Info on MATTS - https://www.matts-turtles.org/

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Mark - I presume, or hope, you contacted Wildlife and Fisheries Dept. or a Wildlife Center in the area. I'm sure they would be very interested in checking the Turtles and seeing if there is a problem in that area, or would know who to contact about them.

The VA Aquarium Stranding Response Program seemed very interested, but as i noted above, locals seem to think that a lot are injured or killed from boat propellers. Lots of boat traffic early in the dark mornings from local fishermen heading out & back from their crab pots. A slightly submerged tortoise at 0430 in the morning would be hard to see and avoid.

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Thanks, Mark - The pictures you showed just did not see any propeller cuts that would account for death. So many things are polluting many water areas that are usually found "First" in dead sea-life that could be a danger to all species, including people. (Not that I am "that " concerned about the people, but more about the concern of the innocent animals.) People are the dirtiest, and deadliest animal alive.