Dealing with Tortoise Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
My tortoise hasn't died, but I was just thinking about what if he did and I realized I would be absolutely devastated. It almost makes me want to cry.

I have had my Red Footed Tortoise, Noam, for about 5 years and I have come to really love him. Also pretty soon I'm getting a new Cherry Head.

So I havent had to deal with tortoise death since Noam is still somewhat young. So my question is for the tortoise owners who have dealt with death: How hard did the death hit you and how did you recover?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It varies greatly from one person to another. Many different reasons as to how and why people react the way they do.
I hope you dont have to deal with it for a long time!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Everyone will react differently. Because I deal with so many sick and injured turtles and tortoises, outwardly, it may seem like it doesn't affect me at all. I have learned to "go with the flow." But my sister takes each death to heart, it even makes her physically ill when one of her charges dies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sadly over the years I have lost several turtles and tortoises some through my own neglect in the early years ( pancake tortoise soft shell turtle) some through old age ( my first red ear slider hit me hard) Others through injury ( red ear slider again), and some that I take in from people who neglected them and then turned them over to me in bad/poor health. If I can offer some advice don't worry about their death, instead focus on enjoying the animal no matter how long it may be with you, over the long run I think you will probably live better focusing on the good, then focusing on their eventual death.

tortoise-kid

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses and its a good thing you guys are doing taking in some neglected tortoises/turtles :D

Status
Not open for further replies.