Status
Not open for further replies.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Left Coast :)
image-1.jpeg
securedownload.jpeg

Guys I need some advice. I have a 3ft length X 18inches wide X 17inches tall glass aquarium (2nd picture) that I was using but now I decided to buy a sterilite under bed storage which I have setup now for my 2 baby leopards (1st picture) but i'm not sure if i downgraded for a enclosure from glass to plastic. Basically what I'm asking is, which would you guys prefer? Glass VS Plastic? My room temperature is below 70F to 60F sometimes at night time (we don't turn on our house heater). In the plastic tub I have a UV strip and a 50watt basking bulb paired with a 60watt CHE controlled by a thermostat. I don't feel like i'm reaching my required heat in the enclosure I have now and that always seemed to be my biggest problem is maintaining high heat, is it because of my room temp? Any suggestions? Should I switch back to glass and return this plastic tub? or keep it the way it is?

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
What is the dimensions of the container? You should somehow cover the top as much as possible. This will keep important heat and humidity in that your babies NEED. You should get a temperature gun to measure your four temps (basking side, cool side, night time temp, and overall temp). There are many threads that will answer your question.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should get a larger tote with higher sides. In fact two totes attached together would be better for two leopards. i had two 50 or more attached together for one leopard. The temp and humdity are hard to do in the lower sides, as usually a lid needs to be put on. Have you read Toms threads at the bottom of my post. All of them are good for raising leopards. Temps day and night, 80 with 80% humidity yes it's probably your room temp. Get a mvb light and another CHE. With that low of room temp, you will need more then what you are using. Again, read Toms threads.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Blake m said:
What is the dimensions of the container? You should somehow cover the top as much as possible. This will keep important heat and humidity in that your babies NEED. You should get a temperature gun to measure your four temps (basking side, cool side, night time temp, and overall temp). There are many threads that will answer your question.

the dimensions are 39x20 and it comes with a lid but i guess it is too low with everything in there i can't cover it unless i take out the big stuff. I have a temp gun as well and the temps right now are basking side - 102F, cool side - 76F and overall temp - 80F

wellington said:
You should get a larger tote with higher sides. In fact two totes attached together would be better for two leopards. i had two 50 or more attached together for one leopard. The temp and humdity are hard to do in the lower sides, as usually a lid needs to be put on. Have you read Toms threads at the bottom of my post. All of them are good for raising leopards. Temps day and night, 80 with 80% humidity yes it's probably your room temp. Get a mvb light and another CHE. With that low of room temp, you will need more then what you are using. Again, read Toms threads.

Okay do you think I should just switch it back to my glass terrarium and maybe cover the sides with some carton to trap heat? If I get a MVB should I only turn that on in the day time? Would 100w suffice?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I use a glass aquarium. I think they work fantastic for closed chambers.

I also think its more attractive than the plastic.

Why did you make the switch from tank to tote in the first place?

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I use a glass aquarium. I think they work fantastic for closed chambers.

I also think its more attractive than the plastic.

Why did you make the switch from tank to tote in the first place?

Funny I ask myself the same question lol :D I will switch it back next thing tomorrow. How do you guys place your heat equipment ie heat cables, CHE, MVB? Also specific placements of temp gauges? What would be the ideal placement of them? I was thinking in a 40gal tank should I place CHE right in the middle with MVB right on basking spot? My concern is how can you achieve ambient temp of 80F when you don't have heat on the other end of the tank? The thing is I have the zoo med hygrotherm thermostat and it only has one probe that measures both humidity and temperature and I'm having a hard time looking for a good spot to place the probe to get the optimal readings and efficiency.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I keep my lights on top of the screen. The screen has clear plastic trapped to it, with holes cut out for the lights. This closed off top helps hold in heat and moisture.
My CHE is in the center and goes on at night time. The right side has a basking light and the left side has a 25 watt bulb for additional lighting with low heat. I keep temp probes in both corners. The corner under the 25 watt is about 82F. My humidity gauge is in the center. I also have a infrared temp gun. If you need to buy more thermometers, do it. You can check the archives for pics of my tank to see what i mean..

"clear plastic taped to it" not trapped lol... Swpye is not my friend tonight

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I keep my lights on top of the screen. The screen has clear plastic trapped to it, with holes cut out for the lights. This closed off top helps hold in heat and moisture.
My CHE is in the center and goes on at night time. The right side has a basking light and the left side has a 25 watt bulb for additional lighting with low heat. I keep temp probes in both corners. The corner under the 25 watt is about 82F. My humidity gauge is in the center. I also have a infrared temp gun. If you need to buy more thermometers, do it. You can check the archives for pics of my tank to see what i mean..

"clear plastic taped to it" not trapped lol... Swpye is not my friend tonight

Nice. Thanks for the ideas i will definitely do that. What wattage of CHE and MVB/Basking do you use? Just seeing what would suffice for a 40gal tank is all. Also where do you suppose I place my thermostat probe and which heat equipment I should hook up to it to control heat? I'm saying this because the thermostat only has 1 plug and it can only control 1 thing so if i had to choose between basking bulb and CHE which one would it be and the thermostat's probe location? Basking area, middle area or cool side? As far as the plastic goes, the light/CHE won't melt it? Maybe depending in plastic type? Regular clear garbage bag maybe? I already have a infrared gun which helps a lot

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My 40 gal has a 75watt CHE and a 100watt incandescent bulb for the basking bulb. (I do not use artificial UV lighting)

At night my 75watt CHE gives me readings of 80F in the far corners (where the temp probes are) and of course it is warmer directly underneath. The temp under my 100watt basking bulb is 105-110F.

I would suggest you connect the thermostat to the CHE and set it for 80F. Place the probe in the far corner (cool side) from the heat source. This will guarantee that your enclosure temp will never drop below 80F.

Your basking bulb should be on a timer. on 12 hours/ off 12 hours. You can put your UV bulb on this timer as well to be on/off simultaneously with the basking bulb.

My lights/CHE do not touch the plastic. Holes are cut out around it. I have also used aluminum foil. Both work. Another member was using clear masking tape and I liked that idea, so I have plastic with the clear tape around the edges. It has been like this for a few months now, no problems.

Let me find some pictures of it...

with the aluminum foil
140aefb.jpg

with the plastic and clear packaging tape
11tva8n.jpg

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot heather! You took away a lot of my worries and thinking :) i like those big dome fixture you have whered u get them? very nice enclosure and setup :) by the way how long does it take for your tank to reach stable temps? I only have a 60watt CHE that is on right now and it's been on for about an hour and my ambient temp with thermostat probe to cool side corner is at 70f so I was thinking its probably climbing its way up to 80? Maybe because its night time also that's why

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I got all 3 fixtures from the walmart. The 2 on the end have plastic sockets and were $6. The center one has a ceramic socket (needed for the CHE) and was $10. Home Depot and Lowes sell them also.

A CHE doesn't take over an hour to reach the max temp. I'd say in less than half that. The ambient room temperature will play a role in the tank temperatures. You may need the 75watt CHE to get the 80F temps at night.

During winter my basking bulb is 100watt because the ambient room temp is colder than in warmer months. During summer I have to switch the bulb out with a 75watt bulb to keep my temps from getting "too hot".

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I got all 3 fixtures from the walmart. The 2 on the end have plastic sockets and were $6. The center one has a ceramic socket (needed for the CHE) and was $10. Home Depot and Lowes sell them also.

A CHE doesn't take over an hour to reach the max temp. I'd say in less than half that. The ambient room temperature will play a role in the tank temperatures. You may need the 75watt CHE to get the 80F temps at night.

During winter my basking bulb is 100watt because the ambient room temp is colder than in warmer months. During summer I have to switch the bulb out with a 75watt bulb to keep my temps from getting "too hot".

image.jpg
Okay sounds good. I've attached a pic to show you where my thermostat probe is located if you can see it, not sure if that's good enough there or should I move farther to the corner? I was also thinking bout taping some carton pieces on the sides of the tank to help with the heat? I also have a zoo med heat mat what do you think about sticking that to the side of the tank?

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think the probe location is fine.

I personally would never put up carton pieces on the side for cosmetic reasons, if you try it and it works for you then great...but i have no clue if it will work or not??

I do not use heat mats. I think they are meant to only be placed under the tank. I wouldn't recommend using it but maybe others who use them will chime in...

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I think the probe location is fine.

I personally would never put up carton pieces on the side for cosmetic reasons, if you try it and it works for you then great...but i have no clue if it will work or not??

I do not use heat mats. I think they are meant to only be placed under the tank. I wouldn't recommend using it but maybe others who use them will chime in...

Hmmm okay I'll try and report back but hopefully someone whos tried the heat mats on the sides of tank can shine some light :) thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.