Decreased activity (evistation season?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Centennial, CO
I've only owned my golden greek (T. graeca terrestris/antakyensis) Gaia since February. Lately I've noticed that she is not prowling around for food as actively, is eating only about half the amount she used to, and is burrowing in her warm side hide a lot more. Ambient and basking temperatures have not been altered since I got her. She seems healthy and acting normal otherwise.

Is it typical for T. graeca from warmer dryer areas to decrease activity during late spring/early summer in response to hot dry conditions in their native environments? I just want to make sure it isn't anything I'm doing to change her activity.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi, Rogue. Looks like you're just on the other side of town from me. You would expect aestivation in mid- to late-summer when it's really hot, not in spring or early-summer when things are just warming up.

My Russians have also been surprisingly sluggish lately. I think it's because our spring has been particularly cold and wet this year, with not many days that are nice enough to take them outside. I think once they get more time outside, they'll start perking up. I would expect the same for your golden Greek.

BTW - I don't know this for a fact, but it's my impression that tortoises (like many other animals) can sense changes in the weather, probably by monitoring not just temperature and humidity, but also barometric pressure as well. This week is quite rainy, and I think my Russians know it, even though they're not outside.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
Thanks, GTT. You are right, there hasn't been many days warm enough to take them outside. She definitely is perkier when she gets at least a little sunshine. At least the dandelions are in full blume and plentiful, she definitely gets up and does full out sprints when she sees yellow!

Interesting theory on sensing weather changes. I'm sure the recent thunderstorm activity has influenced barometric pressure.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Hi, Rogue. Looks like you're just on the other side of town from me. You would expect aestivation in mid- to late-summer when it's really hot, not in spring or early-summer when things are just warming up.

My Russians have also been surprisingly sluggish lately. I think it's because our spring has been particularly cold and wet this year, with not many days that are nice enough to take them outside. I think once they get more time outside, they'll start perking up. I would expect the same for your golden Greek.

BTW - I don't know this for a fact, but it's my impression that tortoises (like many other animals) can sense changes in the weather, probably by monitoring not just temperature and humidity, but also barometric pressure as well. This week is quite rainy, and I think my Russians know it, even though they're not outside.

Ditto here. My Russian hasn't become as active as I thought he would yet. Hoping soon tho! I've only been able to have him outside a few times so far this spring.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I certainly wouldn't be expecting aestivation at this time of year. Have you accurately double checked your temperatures? As the outside temperatures warm up in spring, it does affect those indoors and it may be too hot despite you not changing anything... or rather because you haven't changed anything.

Get a temperature gun, they are not expensive from Amazon, so that you can measure accurately

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yeah, seems to be a cooler, wetter spring over much of the US this year. Kind of interesting. Anecdotally, we're getting these "reports" of tortoises that are surprisingly sluggish for springtime all over the country.

As you say, Rogue, the nice part is that there is plenty of moisture. Lots of weeds growing, so that is a plus! :)

JoesMum said:
As the outside temperatures warm up in spring, it does affect those indoors and it may be too hot despite you not changing anything... or rather because you haven't changed anything.

Good point. I have had to adjust the height of my basking lamps - several times, actually, since the weather has been yoyoing up and down. But yes, once the weather settles on "hot," my basking lamps do remain higher than in the wintertime.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
I have double checked temps, and with continual adjustments they are the same as they have been. About 75-90F gradient daytime, 100-105F basking, and 70F during the night (wife keeps the thermostat at 70F).

Funny, I did order a temp gun from Amazon a few days ago, so I will be verifying the analog temp gauge readings fairly soon.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
12-13 hrs of light. Warm side is a 100W Powersun, and the cool side has a 24" ZooMed 10.0 UVB tube.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Decreased activity (evistation season?)

Rogue said:
12-13 hrs of light. Warm side is a 100W Powersun, and the cool side has a 24" ZooMed 10.0 UVB tube.

When did you last change the UVB? They last about 6 months

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The type of lighting should be sufficient, depending upon the size of the enclosure. The daylight hours should be around 15 which is closer to the actual daylight hours (and activity season) of a tortoise from the northern hemisphere.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
The UVB tube is new (replaced an older 18"), and the Powersun is only 1 month old (warranty replacement). My plan was to change the tube every 6 months, and the Powersun every year.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Decreased activity (evistation season?)

GBtortoises said:
The type of lighting should be sufficient, depending upon the size of the enclosure. The daylight hours should be around 15 which is closer to the actual daylight hours (and activity season) of a tortoise from the northern hemisphere.

I would disagree there. Twelve hours is fine. Going by what my vet said for when Joe was indoors and what Joe does outdoors, having the lights on longer just results in wasted electricity as they pack up for the night by 5pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.