Delayed irregular growth, has anyone experienced vison problems result of MBD?

Stoneman

Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest, United States
This tortoise was poorly taken care of before I got it. I am concerned that the eyes have grown faster than its head. Do they eyes look atypical? Do they look as though they have out grown it's skull? The tortoise is a 2 year old Indian star. the size of a six month old.

The final picture is of a similar sized and healthy burmese star.

20181204_045759.jpg 20181204_045755.jpg 20181204_045746.jpg 20181204_045739.jpg 20181204_045658.jpg 20181204_045645.jpg 20181204_045723.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
Eyes look normal maybe a tad puffy. Is the tort well hydrated. Why do you suspect MBD?

Stoneman

I suspect MBD because he is a fraction of the size he should be at that age, and prior to my care was kept in very poor conditions. At first I thought kidney failure but on the right diet he seems to be ptocessing waste correctly and his swelling has diminished.

The humidity is not ideal. Now I am able to keep it about 50% in open area, but he is in an open top system. He has a humid hide and recieves baths daily. Spraying with a water bottle when I can too. I have noticed his eye openness has improved since I have improved the humidity. I am glad you think it is swelling caused by dryness. Much easier to correct.

daniellenc

Maryland
I’d start there for sure and soak daily for thirty minutes. The tort May have not been fed well and just is small. If it was getting outdoor time UV shouldn’t be an issue.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Improper care and too small of enclosures will stunt the growth rate. I rescued a leopard that couldn't walk properly and was too small for its age. With proper care and therapy, he caught up in size and walks very normal.
Eyes look slightly puffy but nothing really abnormal too me.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Just I need case... do you know that coil style uvb bulbs cause eye problems? Do you use one or was he under one prior to your care? Could explain puffy eyes.

Stoneman

Yes he has had exposure to coil type uvb bulbs. I have transitioned the one in their enclosure to one that uses the same housing but produces heat. It is easier on their eyes but is a dessicant. I have been waiting for a day off so I can test out how hot it gets in there if I enclose it. I might have to use the coil bulb so it doesn't overheat until I can change to a straight bulb.

Stoneman

Thank you @wellington I always appreciate your input. In case you don't recognize me I am formerly known as Vivid Tortoises. I am hoping it starts putting on more weight once I convert it into a closed chamber. He has only put on maybe five to ten grams since I acquired him last April. His nails seem to be growing back and he has some shell growth, and is eating fine. But I know he has been through a lot. I know sometimes torts can take some time off growing. I hope it makes it to adulthood. At this point I don't even care if it produces offspring