Delivering Tortoises via FedEx

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Even though my tortoise was shipped OVERNIGHT, FedEx ignored that and was holding it in their warehouse. I was also tracking the shipping and luckily we were able to run to the warehouse and retrieve the tortoise before they closed. Not cool. I informed the breeder and they said FedEx had been a problem in the past. He deserved to get his money back because I paid him and he paid them for OVERNIGHT.
FedEx always seems to have an excuse or a "problem" with packages.
USPS and UPS are SO much better.

wccmog10

Georgia
And Tom is absolutely correct. Some areas even have hold at Walgreens. Dollar Generals. Supermarkets. Etc. In which case those packages have to be to those locations by 1030-1200 in most areas. Which might not be something I would do for a reptile but something I would do in the case of meds, gifts, etc. Especially if your driver doesn’t make it to your area until late or is a #$$%<}€.
-Meg

FYI- I’ve asked my local Walgreens about this- they don’t do that hold for pickup thing for live animals.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
yep FedEx sucks they were over four hours late meaning they were driving around with my baby all day long and it was actually very warm out that day which had me concerned I was continually blown off call after call sat on the phone for 40 minutes at one point trying to get ahold of a person ....the first time I got a hold of them which they were an hour late they apologized and said they would have dispatch contact the driver and text me how long before he would be here but then I would end up waiting three more hours trying to get a hold of them several times and finally showed up 4 hours past the delivery time feel like I should have got a discount on the overnight shipping for having to wait four hours on something that could have almost been dead because it was hot enough out that day...???
My little guy got delivered a day early in May at my back door. There was snow on the ground and no notice that he'd been delivered. I don't know if Fed ex pulled the shenanigans (probably) but thank God my developmentally disabled brother noticed. He brought my box inside until I got home from work.

VJRDuran

Brooklyn Park
There is also the option of having them "hold it at the hub". When the package comes in in the morning, they will hold it at the FedEx Hub nearest your house. This means you can go pick it up as early as 8:30 or 9:00 am, and your package will not be on another truck or get handled by another person. It will stay in the climate controlled building until you come and get it.
This is exactly what we did when my daughter's tortoise was shipped to us from California (to Minnesota.) After looking at several options and considering the poor reputation FedEx has in our neighborhood, we elected to send it to a nearby hub. We were in the parking lot waiting when the doors opened at 9AM and we were able to retrieve Scooter immediately. He was in our hands sooner than had we waited for him to be delivered to us.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
But she turned out to be an amazing beautiful little leopard....??View attachment 294503View attachment 294504View attachment 294505

Look at that cute little face!!!!!
I want to slap that driver ..
what if this little one had been delivered like all of the other packages people get from fedex!!!! (Thrown at the door).???!
I hate that some people just don’t think twice about an innocent animal.. would they do that kind of s**t if it was a kid???
???
FedEx you stink!!! ? Punk heads!! ??????????.
(Sorry to insult the skunk and the rats..)

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
This isn't meant to cause a debate about shipping. I'm just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar. My mother-in-laws tortoise came today and was left in a bag hanging off the mail box. Thankfully, I was tracking the shipping and got the alert right away!
Tortoise is totally fine!
Box was adequately marked that there was a live animal inside!

View attachment 294497

VERY, VERY BAD BAD driver! Buyer should arrange to pick up at FedEx facility. Keeps from being out in the cold and a lot of banging around in the truck. Not to mention missed delivery.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
FedEx always seems to have an excuse or a "problem" with packages.
USPS and UPS are SO much better.

BALONEY! I've had nothing but trouble with UPS! I avoid like the plague! USPO is better and can leave (non live) in the mail box. However not so sure PO back room is so "climate controlled".

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
BALONEY! I've had nothing but trouble with UPS! I avoid like the plague! USPO is better and can leave (non live) in the mail box. However not so sure PO back room is so "climate controlled".
Yes. I wouldn't trust ups either. I've watched them deliver another type of package to my neighbors instead of driving down my lane AND delivering to me. The person who's address was on it.

polDurna

New Castle, PA.
My last "shipped live" was a Nicaraguan Peacock slider. I was waiting on my porch watching my kids play when the truck stopped. The driver got out swinging the box with lots of very bright stickers and arrows. I stopped him and took the box informing him what was in the box and making him wait until I had opened it and checked on "Little Pea" - In front of my kids. The kids were freaking out , the FedEx guy was almost crying (yes I can be a bit of a B*). I unwrapped LP's plastic tub and took her out, she was annoyed and made snapping faces at the driver. The kids laughed at him and wandered off, but I still gave it to him about how lucky he was not having to explain to my kids how he killed their baby pet by being mean to it's box.

He is a regular driver in our area, I seem him often as he drives by or drops stuff off. He always smiles and waves. The last time he had a moment and stopped to talk to me he said the impression that delivery had made on him was an eye opener. That he had gotten one of his own and opened it up at work to give all of his hub coworkers a learning experience too. Sometimes the people can grow to be more than the business, but yeah, FedEx doesn't have peak standards in training....

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I've gone to only shipping to the closest FedEx ship center. If the buyer can't be make that work, I don't sell to them. It saves much handling (at least three handlings and a truck ride), gets the tortoise to you more quickly (at least 1.5 to 7 hours), and the buildings are usually climate controlled. In my experience the people at the counters that 'hold at location' HAL have a better focus, cause, well, you are able to 'get in their face' if it seems like the box has been mistreated - unlike the doorbell dash drivers.

Get off your bum and go pick up at the local FedEx shipping center. If the seller does not know how to do this, they should reach out to FedEx and learn themselves a better way.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Leaving a live animal outside like that is new to me but I do know that if there is any liquid seeping out of a live animal box, they do bag the box to contain the liquid. That's why its important to make sure no urine can leak and stain the box because it will likely get bagged up!