Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Well I called it. I said I thought she was acting like she was going to lay again... and today she did. I've been turning the big ones loose on the whole 5 acres for the past few days, and they've been romping back and forth and up and down the whole thing, munching on lots of weeds as they go. Yesterday, Delores dug a little depression out with her front feet in the soft, damp earth down at the very bottom of the ranch. I thought it a little odd since my sulcatas hardly ever dig at all. Well today when I put her over the wall of her pen, she made a bee line straight to the area where she dug yesterday (test hole) and started digging again. I just let her to see what would happen. I came back an hour later to check on her and she was turned around and digging with her back feet. WOO HOO!!! I let her finish and walk away from the area and then went down with the family and dug them up. 12 eggs again this time. This is her first time ever laying more than one clutch in a season. On Jan. 15 2009, she laid her first three eggs. None were fertile. On Jan. 31st 2010 she laid her second clutch of 7. 3 were fertile, Tulee, Tuck and Trey (of End Of Pyramiding infamy). On Jan. 21st 2011, she laid 12 eggs. They are all incubating now. This batch makes 24 eggs for the season... so far. Up from 7 last year. I guess I'm doing something right now.

Here she is doing the deed.
4gm553.jpg

This is what it looked like after. I temped the ground at 68-72 right here at the surface. It was fairly damp as it rained a few days ago.
2eph44k.jpg

This is what I dug up.:D:tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::D
24nl1lw.jpg

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Hurray for Delores! 24 possible new little sulcata on the way. You will have your hands full, Tom!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Edna said:
Hurray for Delores! 24 possible new little sulcata on the way. You will have your hands full, Tom!!

24 well hydrated, smoothly started, healthy babies that aren't gonna die in a few months after hundreds in vet bills.

...and I've got my hands full now!!! haha

I've still got two great big 3x5' tubs and two 2x2' enclosures just sitting there empty in my reptile room. The temptation to fill them up is killing me.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I pick the second egg from the left, middle row for my egg. :cool:

Congrats. So did Delores get a reward for all her hard work? :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said:

My little girl gave her a carrot.

I'd be happy to send you one Jacqui! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
Jacqui said:

Works for me. Just mark that egg as mine. :cool:

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Yay!!! So exciting :) And I love that you used 12 little tortoise emoticons :D (yes, I counted!)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui said:
Tom said:
Jacqui said:

Works for me. Just mark that egg as mine. :cool:

Consider it marked!!! I sure hope it hatches. Tomorrow I will put a big "J" on that one.

ChiKat said:
Yay!!! So exciting :) And I love that you used 12 little tortoise emoticons :D (yes, I counted!)

That was because I'm hoping for 100% fertility.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
How exciting! Congrats on the babies :D Good work Delores!!!!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Edna said:

24 well hydrated, smoothly started, healthy babies that aren't gonna die in a few months after hundreds in vet bills.

...and I've got my hands full now!!! haha

I've still got two great big 3x5' tubs and two 2x2' enclosures just sitting there empty in my reptile room. The temptation to fill them up is killing me.

Hey Tom! I still have this 72x13x18 aquarium that I won on ebay this past fall...I haven't used it and I probably won't...if you want it...it's yours!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.