Derby Escaped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I've had Derby for a month or so now, and I've noticed he's been trying to escape. I made sure to secure the entire fenced in area and I thought there was no way he could get out. The fence is about a foot and a half high. Turns out, I'm pretty sure he climbed over one of the pots and climbed part of the fence! It sounds crazy, but I checked for any holes underneath the fence and there aren't any.
The last time I had checked on Derby was 6 hours ago. There was one way he could get out of the yard, but I have a huge backyard and I'm not sure if he ran for that or not. I also have a huge area of foliage that does not get cut. It grows freely and it's huge!
I don't know what to do. If I could walking through it, I couple step on him! And there's so much ground to cover.

I spent 4 hours searching the rest of my yard. I don't know if he went straight for the way out or not.. This feels so hopeless.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First off, take some deep calming breaths. *hugs*

Okay you saw him 6 hours ago and have been looking for 4 of those hours?

You are positive he is not IN his pen still? Being a "rock" under some plant or perhaps has dug himself under the surface?

Does his pen have a lip (and edge that goes into the cage making sorta a shelf) he can't climb past?

I would just keep looking in the yard, especially under any grassroot ball, shrub, large plant, ect. These guys can burrow up close to something and seemingly turn into part of their shelter, and simply become invisable.

Ask neighbors on all sides of you (as in across the street too) if they have seen him. Also gives them warning to even be looking for him and what to do once found. Might ask them not to mow their yards today, too.

Any nice kids around who might be willing to also help you keep checking your yard and the neighbors yards (if the neighbors are agreeable)?

Jacqui

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
Jacqui said:
First off, take some deep calming breaths. *hugs*

Okay you saw him 6 hours ago and have been looking for 4 of those hours?

You are positive he is not IN his pen still? Being a "rock" under some plant or perhaps has dug himself under the surface?

Does his pen have a lip (and edge that goes into the cage making sorta a shelf) he can't climb past?

I would just keep looking in the yard, especially under any grassroot ball, shrub, large plant, ect. These guys can burrow up close to something and seemingly turn into part of their shelter, and simply become invisable.

Ask neighbors on all sides of you (as in across the street too) if they have seen him. Also gives them warning to even be looking for him and what to do once found. Might ask them not to mow their yards today, too.

Any nice kids around who might be willing to also help you keep checking your yard and the neighbors yards (if the neighbors are agreeable)?

Jacqui

I began searching for him after the 6 hour period.
Last time I couldn't find him, he was under a tall patch of grass in his pen. I'm 100% positive he's not in there this time :/ I took out everything inside of it and even dug up the ground a bit.
And I didn't think he'd be able to climb out of it, so I never thought to secure the top of his pen.

I do have some neighbors that would be willing to help find him, though I'm not sure how willing they'd be to not get their grass cut...
Derby is the only tortoise I own and I really care about him. I hope he turns up soon.
Thanks for the help

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well Russians are one of the better climbers of the tortoise world.

Just ask them to not mow for just a few days to give you a chance to search for him. Certainly they could do that, your not asking for them to never mow again.

What's the weather there today? Will it be warm and sunny, so he will more likely be out grazing, moving around, basking or what?

When digging did any spot feel soft like it had recently been dug?

hali

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
oh i am so sorry have everything crossed for you that you find him

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
It's definitely going to be warm and sunny. So maybe I'll come across him walking around. He usually walks around between 10 and 2.

I have a feeling he's still in my yard. I'm trying not to worry too much yet.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is a terrible experience fore you...I know having lost one myself. If a bunch of you could get together, and get down on your hands and knees, and just crawl around your whole yard, it might help. As you are crawling, feel and dig a little with your hands. I hope you find him, and this might help you. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, what Terry said. Russians are great diggers and they don't dig a tunnel, they actually push the dirt behind them, closing off the opening. But if you feel with your fingers, you can feel that the dirt is loose. This is the time that they are thinking about finding a spot to hibernate.

2Paisan

5 Year Member
Hi just sending our support. We have Frankie, our Russian, who is a total escape artist. We had an incident early this summer with her getting out and trucking way across our thanfully quiet street to the culdesac way over there and into the neighbors yard. This is after she crossed and exited our quarter acre yard in about a 2 hour span one afternoon. Tell your neighbors even if it seems impossible for Derby to go that far. Then do some searches at @11 or noon when it is warm. We are crossing our fingers and will check back in. Then fortify the enclosure. We had to really work to get Frankies right but so worth knowing we can find her in there after a day of fun in the sun.....or shade & mud. Also, if Emys didn't all ready tell you, if he does it once he will try again. Frankie has a lot of room and some days she just surveys to see if anything changed. Craning her neck for an escape route. It is just her nature. Good luck Derby!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
is there any chance something came and took him? Dogs? ravens?
I would double triple check his enclosure.. I 'lost' mine before and found him burried up against the side.. the spot he was didnt look obvious..
He has also escaped.. little buggers are really good at that!

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
I found him!!! Thanks everyone for the support! He was in the very corner of my yard by our cable box, underneath some leaves from my banana tree. Also, there was a dead baby possum by him. I'm not sure what occurred, or if Derby had anything to do with it at all. It leaves me a little worried, though.
But as of right now, I'm really happy I have found him safe and sound.

I attached some pictures of Derby :] Thought everyone might like to see the little escape artist.

Attachments

• 100_2844.JPG
    100_2844.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_2866.JPG
    100_2866.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_2834.JPG
    100_2834.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 43
M

Maggie Cummings

Possums would eat a tortoise so I suggest you make Derby sleep in a safe box at night. I am so glad you found him, we all certainly know just how you felt when he was lost...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Derby said:
I found him!!! Thanks everyone for the support! He was in the very corner of my yard by our cable box, underneath some leaves from my banana tree. Also, there was a dead baby possum by him. I'm not sure what occurred, or if Derby had anything to do with it at all. It leaves me a little worried, though.
But as of right now, I'm really happy I have found him safe and sound.

I attached some pictures of Derby :] Thought everyone might like to see the little escape artist.

Excellent news! :cool:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I kept wondering all day, while out spending the day with three of my children, if you had any luck finding Derby. So happy to read this tonight!

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
I am happy you found him. My asian box turtle went missing for six months, so I know how relieved you must be.

Status
Not open for further replies.