Desert or Sulcata

AZSid

This picture was brought to me with the question of desert or sulcata. It was found outside in Tucson so could very easily be a desert baby! That said, we also have a ton of backyard sulcata breeders around so it's not implausible to be an escaped sulcata either. Just looking at this one pic, I'm leaning towards desert, but want to verify with you experts before giving a final answer.

received_10153634012312610.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This picture was brought to me with the question of desert or sulcata. It was found outside in Tucson so could very easily be a desert baby! That said, we also have a ton of backyard sulcata breeders around so it's not implausible to be an escaped sulcata either. Just looking at this one pic, I'm leaning towards desert, but want to verify with you experts before giving a final answer.

Based on color, shape, nuchal scute, and leg scales, that is a DT and not a sulcata.

Connie L

Glendale, Arizona
Regulations (Arizona)
The Mojave desert tortoise was listed as threatened by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) in 1990. Arizona law has prohibited removal of desert tortoises from the wild since 1988. The Sonoran desert tortoise is listed as a Candidate species by the USFWS. Lawfully obtained desert tortoises may be privately adopted, but desert tortoise adoption in Arizona is subject to specific rules.

Per Commission Rule R12-4-407(B)(1), a person may possess, transport or give away a desert tortoise or the progeny of desert tortoises legally held prior to April 28, 1989, or obtained through a Department authorized adoption program, without a special license. An individual who receives a desert tortoise that is given away under this rule is also exempt from the special license requirements. Possession limit is one desert tortoise per person. An individual shall not propagate captive desert tortoises or export a desert tortoise from this state unless authorized in writing by the Department.

Removing a tortoise from the wild can severely affect local populations because they reproduce slowly in natural conditions. It is illegal to remove a tortoise from the wild. You can lawfully adopt a desert tortoise that has been displaced due to construction or raised in captivity through state-sanctioned adoption facilities.

Watch and enjoy, but avoid contact

If you observe a desert tortoise in the wild, it is best to let it continue on its way. Observing tortoises in the wild is an exciting experience, but human handling can be deadly for wild tortoises. Tortoises store water in their bladder during dry times of the year, and if disturbed, they will release the contents of their bladder and likely die from dehydration. The one exception to this rule is if a tortoise is in harm’s way trying to cross a road. If it is safe to do so, gently lift the tortoise high enough so its feet are just above the ground and transport the tortoise across the road in the direction it was heading. To find out what to do if you find a desert tortoise in your neighborhood, click here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio

View attachment 185241

I agree with many others, this tort is a DT not a Sulcata!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Moderator note: All off topic posts have been sent to the "To Be Deleted" file.

(This thread is not about the value of taking turtles from the wild. If you want to discuss that topic, start your own thread. But keep it civil. Discuss the topic, not each others feelings on the subject)

Last edited: