Desert Tort - How to Soften Stools

AuthorrDianeBixler

Mad Max is about to turn 2 years old (Oct 23rd). He's always pushed a bit more to poop than I think he should. And while we use "he" we won't know for several more years.

He drinks quite a bit of water, but I'm starting to soak more frequently. His stools are difficult to pass. Today, his insides came out, when he attempted to poop, and I'm freaked. The doc will see us Thursday, unless he can't poop or he does it again, then we go immediately.

I've researched, but want to make sure - from what I've read, frequent soaking and feeding cucumber or pumpkin helps soften stools.

Soaking - Is daily OK? I don't want shell rot. He does always have access to clean, fresh water.
Cucumber/Pumpkin - These are OK for a desert tort? Are there any other suggestions?
Temp - We keep the inside temp around 90, with the humidity low. Is this maybe not warm enough?
I'm just trying to think of everything. . .

His primary diet is weeds growing outside, and he especially loves hibiscus, both flowers and leaves. I also grow prickly pear cactus, which he likes, but I have to feed to him (removing the spines). I always offer a mix of kale (which he used to love, but now won't touch) and greens, just to ensure he's eating enough.

Otherwise, he's active and appears healthy. While he lives indoors (new double-decker tortoise table), we go outside daily. He walks and eats, climbs, and does basically what you'd expect of a tort.

Thank you in advance for any advice. Max appreciates it, and so do I.

AuthorrDianeBixler

Sorry, I forgot to mention -

I offer cuttlefish bone about once a week for a short period of time. He likes this.

Also - what type of pumpkin? Fresh? Just pull some flesh, or does it need cooking?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pumpkin cucumber aloe. However, are you sure he didn't flash you his male parts?
Also, if he did actually prolasp and didn't go back in it has to stay moist/wet.
Little more details on what you seen would help

AuthorrDianeBixler

If this was his male parts, I'm impressed. I'm quite certain it was a prolapse. I've seen him poop. On rare occasion, he will prolapse a bit when doing so, usually if he sneaks a rock when I'm not watching. It goes right back. I came out of the shower, and he was just sitting there with it laying out. I freaked out, and attempt to gently push a bit and he got it back in. I'd so rather know this was actually his male parts, and I wouldn't care who laughed at me about it. I hate the thought that something is wrong, and that I'm not doing something right.

AuthorrDianeBixler

Pumpkin cucumber aloe. However, are you sure he didn't flash you his male parts?
Also, if he did actually prolasp and didn't go back in it has to stay moist/wet.
Little more details on what you seen would help

OMG. So, I googled male tort parts. I think you're right.

He's only 2, so we knew it would be a few years before we learned if it was a boy or girl. I had NO idea about that part, and it didn't even cross my mind. What I saw coming out of him and what I saw on google match. I think we have a boy.

Feel free to laugh at me. I'm just relieved he's not hurt. Still, just to be sure, we're increasing baths (soakings) to daily, and I'm adding a little cuke and pumpkin to his daily intake. I have offered aloe in the past, he won't touch it. And I'm going to stop offering greens & kale - I read on another post that they won't starve themselves. He needs to eat the weeds growing outside, and there are plenty of them.

Damn males. Always wanting to show off. . .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Break out the blue cigars…Or maybe nowadays its just blue cake…

Most of the care info for this species is far too dry. Yes they come from the desert, but the few that survive are adept at finding moisture and humidity where their siblings fail to do so and die. Here is how I recommend they be cared for. I typed this up for russians, but care is the same for DTs:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Babies that are under 100 grams should be soaked daily, and this species is not prone to shell rot at all. Moderate humidity, damp substrate and a humid hide will all help your tortoise grow up healthy and smooth.