Desert Tort & Sulcatta Tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Prunedale, CA
I have a quick question!
I am fostering a Desert Tort and was wondering if it would be ok to put him in the same outdoor enclosure with my Sulcatta Tort??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Far as I'm concerned...deffinitely NOT!!! I've taken in quite a few sick desert tortoises and after pulling the story out of the people bringing them to me (different people at different times), come to find out they liked their desert tortoise so much they decided to get another tortoise. Not being able to find another desert tortoise, they bought a sulcata. End result, sick desert tortoise, too cheap to take to vet, give to the rescue.

Some people mix species with no apparent trouble or problems, however, I don't think its worth the risk, and I'd NEVER do it.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Lots of people are vehemently opposes to keeping two different species together. However, I kept my desert torts and sulcatta together for years. Make sure that desert your fostering doesn't have any respiratory issues though

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
RE: Desert Tort & Sulcatta Tort?

Regardless of species any new tort must be kept in quarantine entirely separately for several months before introduction.

Most species are solitary in the wild and the resident frequently defends his/her territory against newcomers to the point of blood being drawn. They do not need or want company.

Even if they do tolerate each other, there is a high risk of pathogens carried and tolerated by one species being passed on and causing harm in another.

Overall, I recommend you keep them apart.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would recommend you not doing this....also if you have a permitted CDT you are required as a host to NOT have any other species housed with the CDT....in addition you will absolutely have an eventual size issue at the least...so why not just set them up appropriately to begin with? :D. Keep them both safe...

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
DANG!!! you guys are quick responders! LOL :)
The CDT I recieved was just vet checked roughly a month ago, more or less, and I need to find out how long she had it. He had been staying with my local herp society president, but he reached out to me, because the vet that we are trying to get linked with (were a new society) has asked him to also care for another CDT which has respiratory problems & needs meds, and a Red foot that has some pretty bad pyramidding!

The boy I got is 10 years old, and has a smoooth shell! He is a pig, and eats like there is no tomorrow! LOL! :)
Today I put them together in the area I have for them in the front yard so they can both get some sun... but I was wondering if they would be able to stay together once I finish my backyard enclosure? I totally scratched the pond/enclosure I was starting, and am going to put a brick fence around our yard (we have roughly an acre of land).... so with enough room, and hides/houses at opposite sides of the yard would they be ok?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I wouldn't recommend it, as mentioned above possible sickness or disease.
They might even fight or hurt each other.

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
After reading Ascotts post, I was thinking if it would be ok.. If I put the brick fence around the whole yard, and putting another wall right in the middle of the yard, basically seperating and making each enclosure roughly 1/2 an acre?
One last question before I go to the gym.... How far apart do the 2 species need to be, to keep any pathogens/diseases from jumping to the other species? would just a brick wall be far enough, or does it need to be a few feet/or yards?? I would rather know this now, because hauling these dang bricks back and forth across the yard is BRUTAL on my back! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No dear, they would still cross contaminate one another by sharing the same foot space.

Goes like this...CDT walks around taking bites of this weed and that grass and continues on...each time he bites he leaves behind saliva...or poo or pee....then Sulcata strolls along and crosses the path the CDT just did and nibbles the same plants and pees and poos and then the cycle continues until one or both are potentially ill......

If you are able to enclose the designated yard space why not simply add an additional brick barrier wall to break the over all yard into one smaller one for the CDT and one appropriate for the larger species...?

I would not allow them to share the same foot space....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
RE: Desert Tort & Sulcatta Tort?

If you read what we say you will see that we mean should separate them physically with fencing, boards or blocks in the garden. This must happen for the full quarantine period (min 6 months) and we recommend it's permanent.

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
I understand, I was just asking if a brick wall seperating them would be enough seperation, which it sounds like it would... I was just thinking about airborn pathogens?
So how much room would a CDT need to be happy? I want to make the sulcatta's pen as big as possible, so I would hope the CDT would need alot less then 1/2 an acre!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You got it!:D the fence to separate is good....you simply do not want them to cross contaminate one another with grazing and pacing across one anothers poo and pee....

And I feel for your back with brick moving....no fun...I would also say that the Sulcata would be the species that will need a larger space...yes CDTs do love to walk...for hours on some days...they do not need equal space as your Sulcata....physically their size will absolutely be different...I would say if you have an acre to work with then perhaps the ratio I would offer would be Sulcata 70% and CDT 30% of that overall space.....just my take on it...:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Regarding airborne I am unaware of any airborne pathogens, so in reality a wall should be enough. I also recommend against housing species together. I know several people who do with no noticeable effects, but I personally would just not take the risk. Besides disease , most tortoises also don't want or need companionship, then you have the size differences between the two later down the road.

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
Thanks for the replies! You guys have AWESOME info, and have given me great guidance already! I like the 70/30% ratio! Because the Sulcatta is already pretty big, and really likes to roam!
Since the CDT isnt going to get that big and strong (compared to the Sulcatta) can his pen be made out of fence posts spaced every 5-6ft apart and lined with the small holed chicken wire?? Or maybe even like a plastic type trellis?
Also... I know Sulcatta's can dig quite big/deep holes... Is he likely to do so if I give him enough room to roam, and a good house to go into? Or is it inevitable, and I just have to make a barrier underground to prevent him from escaping?

My family owns a few properties, and I am trying to use as much extra building equipment we have lying around from past projects!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Some sulcatas dig and some don't no rhyme or reason really as to who will or won't
I would avoid chicken wire if possible I would be concerned about them rubbing up against it or cutting themselves.

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
OK! It looks like the CDT is pretty much almost full size, and I think the Plastic Trellis will work pretty good! I have enough of them, that I can make a good sized enclosure pretty quick! Im thinking about 2 1/2 feet tall, with wood posts every few feet!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The CDT pound for pound is fairly strong and tenacious...but if you provide a good space they are less likely to be anxious to run off and break out....(not always, but usually) and these guys also burrow..can burrow 6-10 feet on average, depending on the weather/environment...so account for that as well....provide lots of places for him to lounge about under shade spots as well as places for him to bask...

This also would go for the big one....Sulcata can and do, if they feel like it, burrow and burrow and uh, burrow...lol again, you will need to determine the skill of the digger and the type of soil you have to determine if you will allow this or not...

One of the CDTs here is a premium digger and is simply not satisfied unless he has a burrow....he will pace and try to climb out of any size area (which means roll overs, thankfully he is just as skilled as the re roll...lol) if he does not have his burrow....so he has his burrow and apparently feels very secure with it....:p

Hey wait a minute...are you saying that the only thing that is going to separate the CDT from the Sulcata is a plastic trellis? Uh, the Sulcata is going to plow through that as though, well, it was not there....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need a visual and physical barrier around each tortoises full enclosure. Trellis or other see through fencing is not suitable. They will rub on it, and push under it or through it.

I have never needed any sort of buried wire or foundation with any of my sulcatas. They only rarely try to dig and I just fill in that hole when they go to bed and then they don't try any more for months, if at all. I just stack three rows of slumpstone blocks and offset the middle row with a half block at the start.

macdeezy

5 Year Member
Prunedale, CA
Thanks guys!
And no Ascott I was not gonna use that trellis to seperate the torts! My sucatta will straight up plow through that with even the slightest push! And there is plenty of full sun, and Im gonna build at least 3 hides for him!
For starters tomorrow Im gonna build a 24ftX24ft enclosure for the CDT, so I can start on the daunting task of moving bricks for the sulcatta! I'm really dreading it, but bricks are the only thing that can keep the sulcatta contained! Today he tried buldozing through the bricks I setup for him in the front yard, but thank god they worked!

And for the trellis, I am thinking of using a mesh material I found at Orchard Hardware the other day. When folded, it is not see through, so it should be good enough! Either that or one of the other materials they have there, so I dont have to waste any by folding it!

Status
Not open for further replies.