Desert tortises

Christylil

Location (City and/or State)
Tustin
Hi. I'm new here. In Southern Calif, Orange County to be specific. My mother has 2 Tortises. Tortuga we acquired when I was a child (I'm 61) so we don't know her age. We also have Michaelangelo, whose early 30's. Basically they've been domesticated turtles from the 70's. I'm looking to re-home them as my mom is 90 and wants to find them a nee forever home. We don't feel they'd actually want to be in the desert, especially the male. He was hand raised. I need advise in what direction to go. Thank you in advance!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi. I'm new here. In Southern Calif, Orange County to be specific. My mother has 2 Tortises. Tortuga we acquired when I was a child (I'm 61) so we don't know her age. We also have Michaelangelo, whose early 30's. Basically they've been domesticated turtles from the 70's. I'm looking to re-home them as my mom is 90 and wants to find them a nee forever home. We don't feel they'd actually want to be in the desert, especially the male. He was hand raised. I need advise in what direction to go. Thank you in advance!
This is one of the most fun aspects of tort keeping for me. I think it's wonderful to hear about tortoises that have been in the same family for multiple generations. 60, 80 year old "wise ones" of the tort population. It makes my heart feel warm and fuzzy, even though torts are anything but that!

Anyway, a few things to keep in mind...first, it is illegal to take a desert tortoise out of its home state. So your 2 must stay in CA.

Second, desert torts don't do well in cooler humid places. They are made for the desert, and though it is possible to keep them in other climates, there's much more risk of respiratory infections, etc.

Third, be aware that sometimes unethical people will join a forum like this and look for free torts being rehomed, just so they can resell the tortoise. It puts you in a spot, because it is also illegal to take any money for a desert tort, (and for the other guy to resell the tort, but we already said he's unethical).
So just make absolutely sure that yours go to a genuine new home. Usually these resellers will have joined a short time ago, and won't hang around very long. If something doesn't feel right to you, don't ignore that.

I would imagine that it is very difficult to let these 2 go out of your lives, especially for your mom. If this is the case, let her know that we understand, and are sending hugs. 🤗🤗🤗

NancKj

San Fernando Valley, CA
Hi Cristy!
If you were thinking to set them free in the desert, please don't! You are right, they would not do well. In fact, they would starve to death. And, they could spread disease to the wild tortoises. In fact, it is illegal to release captive desert tortoises. I think it is wonderful you want them to find a new forever home. Please stay away from Craig's List or offering them for "free to a good home" on any advertisement. May I suggest you contact the local California Turtle and Tortoise Club. There is one in Orange County. The webpage for all of CTTC is tortoise.org. Do you have a picture or two of them for identification?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Perfect advice from the previous two posters.

Welcome to the forum. I would love to see pics of these ancient ones too.

Christylil

Tustin
This is one of the most fun aspects of tort keeping for me. I think it's wonderful to hear about tortoises that have been in the same family for multiple generations. 60, 80 year old "wise ones" of the tort population. It makes my heart feel warm and fuzzy, even though torts are anything but that!

Anyway, a few things to keep in mind...first, it is illegal to take a desert tortoise out of its home state. So your 2 must stay in CA.

Second, desert torts don't do well in cooler humid places. They are made for the desert, and though it is possible to keep them in other climates, there's much more risk of respiratory infections, etc.

Third, be aware that sometimes unethical people will join a forum like this and look for free torts being rehomed, just so they can resell the tortoise. It puts you in a spot, because it is also illegal to take any money for a desert tort, (and for the other guy to resell the tort, but we already said he's unethical).
So just make absolutely sure that yours go to a genuine new home. Usually these resellers will have joined a short time ago, and won't hang around very long. If something doesn't feel right to you, don't ignore that.

I would imagine that it is very difficult to let these 2 go out of your lives, especially for your mom. If this is the case, let her know that we understand, and are sending hugs. 🤗🤗🤗
Thank you for your response. Your points are taken as I already understand the protocol with our babies. If we could keep them in the family we definitely would, as I pamper them daily and they know our whistles. I would definitely survey any potential adoptees for just your reasons.
We've lived in the Tustin area since the 60's. They are quite healthy and have not had any issues.
Wish I could get a more definite idea of how old mama is, but I can only guess she's close to her 90's.
Is it OK to post pics or is that not a good idea?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is it OK to post pics or is that not a good idea?
We LOVE pictures! It's perfectly fine to post them. I would just not show the address. Lots of us have posted pix of our houses, not purposely, but because the house was in the background. I don't think there has ever been a problem, or will be.

Christylil

Tustin
Awesome! We built a nice pen for them. They used to roam the yard but Michaelangelo would rather go through dog door and sleep under my bed when it was too hot!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Someone, long ago, posted a video of a tort going through a dog door. The obly problem was that the tort was at least 3in wider than the door! But he turned almost on his side and pulled himself through the door.

Talk about purpose and persistance! :D:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish we lived closer. I'd take them in an instant!

Christylil

Tustin
Thanks. Still looking for info on more local rescues near Orange County, CA.