Desert Tortoise Beak broke on her right

Ida

Hello all, Wanted to share my Ms Ida's beak. It's been this way for awhile, on her right there is a little split/crack so her lower beak hangs to the left. She eats okay and get around alright. Don't know if this has anything to do with what the vet mentioned last year regarding black inside her mouth on beak, said something about beak falling off. I'll get her back in for check up.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426775338.292622.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426775360.142061.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426775421.300677.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's more likely a calcium deficiency. Do you ever give her a cuttlebone or calcium supplement?

Reactions: Ida

puffy137

Looks serious to me. Poor little thing must be in pain . Best to get the vet to look her over again .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello all, Wanted to share my Ms Ida's beak. It's been this way for awhile, on her right there is a little split/crack so her lower beak hangs to the left. She eats okay and get around alright. Don't know if this has anything to do with what the vet mentioned last year regarding black inside her mouth on beak, said something about beak falling off. I'll get her back in for check up.

View attachment 122551View attachment 122552View attachment 122553

You say her beak has been that way for awhile? Did it appear one day or did the tort come like that? I ask because perhaps it was an injury that has healed over in an odd fashion....I have to say, I am loving the healthy leg chunks in the pics and what a perfectly clear set of eyes....gorgeous....I would not necessarily take her to the vet just right now for this type of thing....just my feeling...

Ida

Thank you all for your input on this. No it wasn't that way when I got her, at some point befor winter I noticed it but hadn't really done anything because she seemed fine and what can a vet do for that, stitches. But still wanted to follow up with someone regarding it. Ya she eats really good, grazes around the yard, pops, pees and winks at me. Thanks for saying her legs look healthy and good, much appreciated.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you all for your input on this. No it wasn't that way when I got her, at some point befor winter I noticed it but hadn't really done anything because she seemed fine and what can a vet do for that, stitches. But still wanted to follow up with someone regarding it. Ya she eats really good, grazes around the yard, pops, pees and winks at me. Thanks for saying her legs look healthy and good, much appreciated.

Does that site have any fleshy wounds/ick or gooey stuff? I mean, does the tongue hang/slip out of that spot?

Ida

No I don't see anything like that and no her tongue doesn't slip through, it's a very small little slit but it sure makes it look like it's hanging over a lot.

Ida

Oh I love it!!!!! don't mean to get mooshy on the forum but you so hit home with Popeye..So love it.....My daddy passed away 2012 and he was my Popeye he was retired Navy. And on my time at his home(different state than me) I had 2 tortoises/turtles visit me at his home, so that's what made me get desert tortoise here at home. Thanks so very much for saying that, maybe a message from above.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Awww, that is so way cool. I am so glad you shared with us. Yay, to Pop!
Thank you so much for your service to our country to your daddy.
And yes, indeed, I believe synchronicity is affirmation.

Reactions: Ida