Desert tortoise health concerns

guttermouse

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have questions.
I just drove 2 hours to pick this girl up. The woman I got her from said her grandmother wasn’t giving it the proper care. Luckily the woman was able to talk her grandmother into giving it to a new home. We have an enclosure ready to go, and have successfully raised healthy sulcatas, leopards, a redfoot, and a desert tortoise, so I’m confident in the life I will give to this one. So here are my questions. She said she’s had this one since she was a hatchling, and she is now 5 years old. Am I crazy for thinking a desert tortoise this size is too large for that age or does that timeline match up? Also, her feet have several scales sticking out to the side which are taking on a nail like shape..what is causing that?

Aside from the pyramiding, she looks very different from the desert tortoises I’m used to seeing. I’m aware of Sonoran vs. Mojave, so could this be a Sonoran? Does anyone have any other thoughts on the way it looks and it’s health? I’ll be monitoring her over the next week and making a vet appointment if she shows signs of sickness/concern.

Attachments

• 9F43E801-EA1D-41FB-B066-FB47CFDCFCB7.jpeg
    9F43E801-EA1D-41FB-B066-FB47CFDCFCB7.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 3369B34B-7A8A-4445-81C8-A47225B80A46.jpeg
    3369B34B-7A8A-4445-81C8-A47225B80A46.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • ACFD4D8E-5464-4311-900B-94CE6B1DAAF4.jpeg
    ACFD4D8E-5464-4311-900B-94CE6B1DAAF4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

guttermouse

California
I do want to add that upon further research, I’m reading about a tortoise called a Bolson which she seems to replicate more than the desert tortoises you can find in our area. Does anyone have any experience with Bolson tortoises, or just thoughts on her possibly being one?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Not my area of expertise, but she sure does look like my neighbor's desert tortoise, and not like what I see in photos of a Bolson tortoise...

Attachments

• IMG_6003 (2).jpg
    IMG_6003 (2).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6002 (2).jpg
    IMG_6002 (2).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have questions.
I just drove 2 hours to pick this girl up. The woman I got her from said her grandmother wasn’t giving it the proper care. Luckily the woman was able to talk her grandmother into giving it to a new home. We have an enclosure ready to go, and have successfully raised healthy sulcatas, leopards, a redfoot, and a desert tortoise, so I’m confident in the life I will give to this one. So here are my questions. She said she’s had this one since she was a hatchling, and she is now 5 years old. Am I crazy for thinking a desert tortoise this size is too large for that age or does that timeline match up? Also, her feet have several scales sticking out to the side which are taking on a nail like shape..what is causing that?

Aside from the pyramiding, she looks very different from the desert tortoises I’m used to seeing. I’m aware of Sonoran vs. Mojave, so could this be a Sonoran? Does anyone have any other thoughts on the way it looks and it’s health? I’ll be monitoring her over the next week and making a vet appointment if she shows signs of sickness/concern.
This is a male DT. It has just been raised and fed with the typical wrong advice. Here is the correct care info:

guttermouse

California
Not my area of expertise, but she sure does look like my neighbor's desert tortoise, and not like what I see in photos of a Bolson tortoise...
Thank you.
This is a male DT. It has just been raised and fed with the typical wrong advice. Here is the correct care info:
tom
tom thank you. Any thoughts on the feet? And I had initially thought male, but the plastron is completely flat on the bottom. Is it just too young?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . and his eyes are kinda' squinty. I'd bet he'd like a good, long soak in warmish water.