Desert tortoise Hermanns cohab?

Location (City and/or State)
Clarksburg California
I have a desert tortoise who I live and adore ?! She is the best. My question is some day in the distant future if I get more space, could she ever live with a Hermanns tortoise or any other tortoise species? If not I am curious as to why, I know some people are against cohabitating but the rescue I got her from said I probably could and they where cohabitating her with lots of other species.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I'm sure you could and you might not have any problems, but it is always advised to not mix species for several reasons. They don't occur near each geographically and it would be best to keep them separate. Some have diseases that may not affect that specific tortoise or species in general, but may seriously impact a different species. It would be one thing to mix species that actually come from the same area (like sulcatas and leopards) but something completely different with species found on opposite sides of the world. As well, tortoises are known to eat other tortoise poop and good parasites in one poop that get eaten by a different species good mess with the gut seriously.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
You should look into getting another one or more in the future, but just give them separate areas of the yard. You wouldn't want to put them at unnecessary risk.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Could another female desert live with my Tina at some point? Safely?
It probably could if there is plenty of space, but pairs usually aren't recommended and having a group would be better. Like buying two more female deserts. How big is your yard?