Desert Tortoise not interested in water after hibernation

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
My DT came out after over 5 month hibernation 4 days ago and hasn’t drank anything.

I expected him to be drinking up as much as he could, but he’s just not interested. He did eat a teaspoon of wet food yesterday and some grass, but it just doesn’t seem like enough.

I had him over 10 years and never actually been around during the daytime in the past because of work. Now that I'm retired, I notice things more and just wondered if I should do something to get him to drink. I also set him in a shallow container of water to soak, but he couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soak him in warm shallow water in a tall sided, opaque tub. Don't worry about whether or not he likes it. He will like death or a giant bladder stone a lot less…

I do this daily for a week or two after hibernation and then taper it down to twice a week over the hot summer.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I also set him in a shallow container of water to soak, but he couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

My Russian isn’t a fan of soaking but if I get her into warmish water before she’s up and about for the day she’ll usually chill out for ten minutes before telling me she’s DONE.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I couldn’t find anything large enough yesterday and then a neighbor gave me a small cement mixing tub last night, but my tort was already heading in to sleep. The mixing tub looks pretty clean so I’m going to soak him this morning. He has been pretty active exploring the whole yard like it’s all new and I keep moving his water container around with him but he just walks right over it.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I couldn’t find anything large enough yesterday and then a neighbor gave me a small cement mixing tub last night, but my tort was already heading in to sleep. The mixing tub looks pretty clean so I’m going to soak him this morning. He has been pretty active exploring the whole yard like it’s all new and I keep moving his water container around with him but he just walks right over it.
I don't think chasing him around with his water bowl will do anything, but it does paint a funny picture. :p You can lead a horse to water…

The tub sounds good. Just be sure to use warm water. All the marching and struggling to get out is good exercise. Put on some music and call it "Tortoise Jazzercise"! :) Some tortoises are more relaxed in the soak on cooler mornings before they warm up in the sun as the water helps warm them. Some tortoise seem to prefer afternoon or evening soaks. Give it all a try, but don't worry too much if your tortoise acts like its in an acid bath. They all settle down and get used to it, and its critical for their long term health. 30-60 minutes a day for a week or two should help rehydrate your tortoise and flush the system after that long winters nap.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I added some more water and he doesn't seem to mind it, but tomorrow I try to arrange it so that his head is a little higher than the back

upload_2018-4-4_10-31-39.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I usually go about halfway up the shell. You might need to get an opaque tub with taller sides. If he keeps trying to get out because he can just see over that rim, you'll need something bigger. If he relaxes in that one and it works, no need to change.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Well, my DT seems to be enjoying his daily soaking and today he even had a good portion of food along with wild grass and weeds.

I’ve allowed him complete freedom of my yard since he woke up and he has been camping out the last week in different spots around the yard. I was a little worried that he may not ever go back to his enclosure where he’s lived for 10 years, but this afternoon after searching everywhere I found him back at home napping.

I’m debating on whether or not I should close his gate while he’s in there because I have a construction material storage area that could be dangerous. I have it temporary blocked off because I need wheelbarrow and hand truck access, but he could dig under if he wanted to.