Desert tortoises hibernating...

Jacquelin G

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have two desert tortoises I was given when they where hatchlings 2 1/2 years ago. They have been hibernating this (mild) winter out in there tortoise den in my shed. They have fleece blanket they’ve been tucked away in. I leave out water and springs but they have not touched it. I have condition them to live outdoors and in there most natural habitat. I check on them all the time but I’m wondering if I need to soak them or just let them be?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jacquelin, and welcome to the Forum! You say "desert tortoises," but you've posted your thread under the Sulcata heading. Are they sulcatas? If so, sulcatas don't hibernate. If they are desert tortoises, they don't eat or drink while hibernating. Just leave them alone, make sure they stay dry and don't allow their den to get below freezing, as their eyeballs will freeze. Once the night temperatures are consistently 50F and above, they will start to wake up on their own. When you see them coming out, you can give them a nice soak, but leave them alone and let them sit in the sun to get their core temperature back up to where they can digest food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(I've moved your thread to the "Introductions" section.)