DesertSeedStore & other food related questions

Jmoney1002

Location (City and/or State)
Sebring, FL
I am just wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with DesertSeedStore?

Also, I am compiling a list of seeds I want to order to plant a tortoise garden. I have checked the tortoise table website but I wanted to see if anyone had any concerns about any of the following plants.

Farewell to Spring (Clarkia)
California Poppy
Mountain Garland (Clarkia)
Narrowleaf Plantain
Heartease
Hoary Plantain
Dandelion
Bermuda Grass
Broadleaf Plantain
Calendula
Chicory
Common Mallow
Desert Plantain
Lance Leaf Coreopsis
Mauritian Mallow
Plains Coreopsis
Red Coreopsis
Shepard's Purse
Hollyhock
Nasturtium
Mimulus
White Bursage
orchard grass
timothy grass

Thanks!

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Great store in my experience! I ordered their tortoise grasing mix for sulcatas. Planted it in early July and everything sprouted and came up. Hugo loves the grass mix. I know the brumuda grass is great for them is why I planted some sod of brumuda.. but be careful buying brumuda seed as it can be highly invasive and out compete everything else.. here is their seed planted behind the shelter with the white flowers. I did mix the seed from what I got from desertseedstore.com and also sulcatafood.com both are great sources. All I did was rake the native soil, add about 2 inches of compost, spreaded the seed and then added about an inch of brumuda hay on the seed. Watered twice a day for a week and boom.
20170810_144632.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
All the plants seem fine except I am not familiar with mimulus by that limited of a name; it should be a specific species of mimulus, I think? Not just the general mimulas plant genus.

Is it a kind of monkey flower?

Jmoney1002

Sebring, FL
All the plants seem fine except I am not familiar with mimulus by that limited of a name; it should be a specific species of mimulus, I think? Not just the general mimulas plant genus.

Is it a kind of monkey flower?

It is called Sticky Monkey Flower on Desert Seed Store.