Desperately need help with cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
I really need somebody's help. I have a tabby cat who is about 2 years old and is hell-bent on peeing on our blankets, clothed, and beds. I've tried keeping his litteebox super clean, spraying feliway to calm him, scolding him, cleaning previous spots with an enzymatic cleaner. But alas, he just peed on my son's clean clothes. True my hubby shouldn't have left them on the floor, but my hubby is at his wits end with this cat. Toby, the cat, has always been an inside only cat due to him being declawed. On the fronts paws only when we adopted him. We also have an older cat who has never peed anywhere except in the litterbox. Any suggestions? Toby will do really good for a little bit and then he pees elsewhere.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you tried having more than one litter box?

Has the cat been seen by a vet to be sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection?

There's a new litter called Cat Attract.

I found this on a GOOGLE search:

"Any cases that don't respond to Feliway will usually respond to antidepression medications. There are several choices - amitriptyline, buspirone, diazepam, clomipramine, and fluoxetine (Prozac) are most commonly used. Prozac is the newest and seems most promising. In some studies, it has been shown to be successful in treating over 90% of cases that have not responded to non-medical treatments, and about 70% of cases that have not responded to other antidepression meds. It also is an excellent choice because it has no side effects. It does tend to be a little on the expensive side - around $45 a month. However, very often, it can be tapered off and discontinued after a few months of use, when the cat's behavior has been corrected. I have used it in two of my cats and highly recommend it when needed."

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Thanks Yvonne. I'd heard about putting cats on antidepression meds, but hadn't considered it. I will be taking him to a vet just to make sure he doesn't have a UTI. I haven't heard of that litter before, and I'll be getting another litter box. The only thing is I don't know where to put it. I'll have to figure that one out.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Yvonne and the two boxes. I have two inside cats and have 2 boxes right next to each other and one cat uses one box and the new 1 year old kitten uses the other box. They are right next to each other taking up just a little room...I got the 1 year old at 4 weeks and she has always used the separate box from the older cat. It works for us...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
try what is suggested,, but sometimes.. they just wont stop. it becomes a bad habit or they are doing it because something upset them.
Try a different type of litter.. if you use clumping, they try something different inthe second box. If you have an attached garage then build a enlcosed box ( like toms tort box) and put it in the garage with a kitty door leading to the box. The litter box is out of the house, out of the way but the cats cant get outside. if that doenst work.. he can still be an outdoor cat without claws. he wont be able to climb a fence or tree to get away as well, but a fight or defending himself is biting or kicking with his back feet. good luck!

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
Maggie- thanks for your suggestion. Oddly enough I had never thought of putting them right next to each other. I was hung up on trying to figure out a completely different spot. I will definitely try that. Laura- good suggestion ontrying a different type of litter. I still don't feel right about making him an outside cat and unfortunately our garage is open far too often for some kind of box in the garage.

M

Maggie Cummings

Most outside cats die around age 9 or 10, but indoor cats can live to be 18 or 20. It's not healthy for a cat to live outside despite what most people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.