Details on my tortoise?

Jadeemma18

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hi,

I have had my Sheldon since January now so I’m a fairly new owner and was just wondering if anybody could take a look at the pictures I’ve attached to let me know if the table looks ok and suitable? I know a few people have mentioned that stones may not be good in there, however, he/she really seems to like being on them and always seems to fall asleep there. I have tortoise terrain in there from Pets at Home but have read that normal top soil is better? And are the fake plants ok in there? Sheldon tried to get to the one nearest the water in the corner for about 20 minutes when I first put them in there, which was a few days ago, but hasnt bothered with any since which is good.

Also, from the other pictures if somebody could let me know if he/she looks male or female and age from the measurements?

Thank you
42097936-9545-48CA-9426-FD8FEBF34F74.jpeg 2E91DE4C-5FF9-4FBA-9693-8F266520D300.jpeg 7E4CD524-B846-4601-81EC-CD57FED891BA.jpeg FEE92622-6E01-44FD-AEDE-C3D11C30FB94.jpeg 2C1D7600-CC4A-4DE4-ABC9-DE1E843CD72B.jpeg C83E8A21-28F3-4D24-B797-02307ED4F50E.jpeg B3BC207F-912C-455A-A564-E7A6E4BA72EC.jpeg

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hi,

I have had my Sheldon since January now so I’m a fairly new owner and was just wondering if anybody could take a look at the pictures I’ve attached to let me know if the table looks ok and suitable? I know a few people have mentioned that stones may not be good in there, however, he/she really seems to like being on them and always seems to fall asleep there. I have tortoise terrain in there from Pets at Home but have read that normal top soil is better? And are the fake plants ok in there? Sheldon tried to get to the one nearest the water in the corner for about 20 minutes when I first put them in there, which was a few days ago, but hasnt bothered with any since which is good.

Also, from the other pictures if somebody could let me know if he/she looks male or female and age from the measurements?

Thank you
This whole thing looks very dry. You need a closed chamber to maintain high humidity. I think it's ok to have some rocks but not much has it doesn't retain humidity. Have you looked at the care sheets for pancakes on this forum? Also there is no way to tell sex for a 39g tort...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Sheldon is a little Horsefield tortoise, right? There's no way to know his gender until he gets quite a bit bigger than he is.

I don't like to use that type of substrate because the white bits encourage them to eat the substrate. This might end up with an impaction and a big vet bill (or a dead animal).

Plastic plants are ok in my book. I use them all the time.

Since those rocks are too big for him to swallow, I would say it's ok to keep them in there.

The little water dishes you're using might be a tipping hazard. Since little tortoises don't bend in the middle, they sometimes get over balanced trying to get out of them and tip over backwards into the water. A plant saucer recessed down into the substrate works much better for little tortoises.

Take a look at our care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Im just paroting infos, just trying to help...I’ll keep my mouth shut for a couple of years now lol.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I'm only seeing a single light fixture. Are you using mercury vapor bulbs or regularly taking your tortoise outdoors for some sunshine?

Suggestion: A larger diameter basking fixture + a separate T5 UVB fixture may initially be pricier but the combined wattage requirements would most likely be lower what you're currently using for that single fixture.

A larger basking fixture is going to be more effective in heat distributing than overpriced models specifically branded for pets. T5 tubes are also cheaper and will last much longer than mercury vapor bulbs.

Small rocks are a nightmare to pick up when replacing substrate. I tend to stick with large pieces of slate or pebbles because of this.

Jadeemma18

Liverpool
This whole thing looks very dry. You need a closed chamber to maintain high humidity. I think it's ok to have some rocks but not much has it doesn't retain humidity. Have you looked at the care sheets for pancakes on this forum? Also there is no way to tell sex for a 39g tort...

Thanks for the reply, any suggestions on things to put over the top to retain humidity?

Jadeemma18

Liverpool
Hi, and welcome!

Sheldon is a little Horsefield tortoise, right? There's no way to know his gender until he gets quite a bit bigger than he is.

I don't like to use that type of substrate because the white bits encourage them to eat the substrate. This might end up with an impaction and a big vet bill (or a dead animal).

Plastic plants are ok in my book. I use them all the time.

Since those rocks are too big for him to swallow, I would say it's ok to keep them in there.

The little water dishes you're using might be a tipping hazard. Since little tortoises don't bend in the middle, they sometimes get over balanced trying to get out of them and tip over backwards into the water. A plant saucer recessed down into the substrate works much better for little tortoises.

Take a look at our care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Thanks Yvonne I will look into getting a different dish, he (or she!) doesnt go in it much and this may be why. How many times a day should I let him soak to make sure hes hydrated?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks for the reply, any suggestions on things to put over the top to retain humidity?

For a temporary solution, build a top frame or place supports on that enclosure and cover it with foam insulation board, aluminum foil, blanket, or cardboard. If you want something more permanent, build a top from something like a sheet of plywood or plexiglass and install hinges.

Cutout sections to seal your fixtures into the top. Drill a few small holes for ventilation if need be.

Jadeemma18

Liverpool
I'm only seeing a single light fixture. Are you using mercury vapor bulbs or regularly taking your tortoise outdoors for some sunshine?

Suggestion: A larger diameter basking fixture + a separate T5 UVB fixture may initially be pricier but the combined wattage requirements would most likely be lower what you're currently using for that single fixture.

A larger basking fixture is going to be more effective in heat distributing than overpriced models specifically branded for pets. T5 tubes are also cheaper and will last much longer than mercury vapor bulbs.

Small rocks are a nightmare to pick up when replacing substrate. I tend to stick with large pieces of slate or pebbles because of this.

Thanks for getting back to me, apologies if I sound really stupid here but my boyfriend bought everything for me so I’m not entirely sure what type the bulb is but was told that it was light, heat and UVB all in one so we wouldn’t need anything else (this coming from a pet shop who told us to feed him broccoli, fruit and lettuce and that soaking him was pointless as its a desert animal so it didnt make sense!)

Im from Liverpool in the UK so he cant really go outside much as it’s never really warm enough (never really above 18c and constantly rains, with the exception of this Summer as its been mostly in the late 20s for the first time Ive ever seen so he’s been outside lots making the most of it.

Any ideas on age?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks for getting back to me, apologies if I sound really stupid here but my boyfriend bought everything for me so I’m not entirely sure what type the bulb is but was told that it was light, heat and UVB all in one so we wouldn’t need anything else (this coming from a pet shop who told us to feed him broccoli, fruit and lettuce and that soaking him was pointless as its a desert animal so it didnt make sense!)

Im from Liverpool in the UK so he cant really go outside much as it’s never really warm enough (never really above 18c and constantly rains, with the exception of this Summer as its been mostly in the late 20s for the first time Ive ever seen so he’s been outside lots making the most of it.

Any ideas on age?

There's no need to apologize. It's the pet shop's job to sell, not to inform. They got what they needed. They got to up-charge you on equipment you can most likely buy elsewhere for cheaper and for better quality. This isn't new. It's probably happened to a majority of the people on these forums.

Heat and uvb bulbs look a bit different when compared to mercury vapor bulbs which are uva and uvb. They both do not cover a lot of area. Both bulbs are a bit more pricier than T5 reptile rated florescent tube lights and do not last nearly as long.

Buy incandescent bulbs in bulk. A 10.5 brooder style lamp not from a pet brand is going cost 2/3 less. I believe a 25-40 watt would give you 100F basking and 70-75F+ cool end for an enclosure of that size. I would suggest experimenting on different wattages before buying in bulk.

A single tube t5 (example: Sunblaster 904296 NanoTech T5) fixture will be reasonable priced and cheaper than what pet brands offer. Each t5 reptile rated tube is rated at 20+ watts, gives a bit of heat, and will last a minimum of 12 months.

Under 2.5-3 inches. I would say still a hatchling/pre yearling. Give it daily soakings. 20-30 minutes in warm water.

Make sure your tortoise's outdoor enclosure has shade, substrate, and water. Hatchlings and pre-juveniles in general should be supervised at all times.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! Cute baby!

When you get the enclosure temps and humidity straightened out (most important), you might consider a few more plants/hides for him. Or maybe just increase the size of the plants. That a good sized enclosure, which is fantastic. But some of the space may make a little guy feel exposed; he iis built to survive by hiding. I’m actually not sure he can fully hide under some of those, since they are surrounded by rocks?

Once you’ve swapped out that water dish for the saucer Yvonne recommended, you may find him soaking himself. Keep up with the daily soaks as well, it’s just nice for him to be able to self regulate.

Kaeloni

Montana
I would be very cautious of the shelf that you have in there. I put a log hide too close to the edge one time and when I walked by my female was on top of it staring out at me. She could have easily fallen. Now I never put anything that can be climbed close to the edge.

Attachments

• A82B5B0A-98D2-4D75-BB2A-F739C992090C.jpeg
    A82B5B0A-98D2-4D75-BB2A-F739C992090C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Ohio
Did you use potting soil with perlite as substrate?

Just curious what the white specks in it are.