Dew point

Defishnsea

Location (City and/or State)
Slidell, Louisiana
I am one of those freaks that likes to check the humidity levels in my area and compare to random cities in Brazil to see how close we compare. I live in S.E. Louisiana, where it feels like a wet towel thrown in your face when you walk outside right now. Our humidity today was "only" 52%, but the dew point was 70* and temp was 90*. I know the redfoots like humidity in the 80's so was kind of worried since he I keep him outdoors. I checked Brazil and their temp was in the 80's with a similar dew point, but higher humidity. Decided to look into the difference and learned that the dew point is a more accurate description of the amount of moisture in the air. When the temp gets high like here and the dew point as well it actually yields a low humidity reading. This can get kind of confusing, because there is lots of moisture in the air, but the humidity seems low. Point being, don't just be concerned with the relative humidity only. I am sure this is a good indicator for indoor enclosures with a steady temp, but not so much for outdoors.

Matt