dh1998

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
My baby leopard tortoise is currently undergoing a deworming treatment for 5 days. Im three days into her treatment and I do notice that she has lost her appetite. Yesterday I soaked her in a mixture of pumpkin and butternut squash baby food mixed in with warm water since she hasn't been showing much interest in her food. A few hours after the soaking I saw her exploring her tank and to my surprise she ended up at her food bowl and ate a considerable amount of food. Im thinking maybe the baby food soaking gave her a boost. I was wondering if it is safe to give her another baby food soak tomorrow morning since she has already lost her energy and appetite again. I know the medication is considered poison and a side effect of it is a loss of appetite, but she is so small Im worried going too long without eating might cause the medication to have worst effects.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I worry about deworming tiny babies. Did the vet look at the stool sample under a microscope?

Babyfood soaks aren't harmful.

dh1998

Miami, Florida
I worry about deworming tiny babies. Did the vet look at the stool sample under a microscope?

Babyfood soaks aren't harmful.

I took him to the vet and they found pinworms and roundworms. I was hesitant about the deworming, however he hasnt been doing so well and its probably because of the worms so if he doesnt get dewormed I fear he wont ever get better. Im soaking him in warm water three times a day and keeping the temps in hos terrarium a little higher hopefully to help him. If the baby food soaks arent harmful then Im definitely going to do it again tomorrow morning.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The poison that's in the de wormer also poisons the tortoise. But to a lesser effect.
It's normal for the host animal (tortoise) to eat less for a few days.
I'm also uneasy about using a de wormer on babies.
Most "vets" know little about tortoises and just seeing evidence of worms, doesn't always mean that treatment is required.
And likewise, treating for worms should never be done as a preventative. This is not the case here.