Deworming medicine came out of tortoises nose!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
We gave Addy her second dose of parasite medicine last night. I feel like we got it way down, past the trachea but this morning some had (seemingly) come out of her nose and down her face.

I'll give it to her in her food today but any ideas what might be wrong? She has a possible gastrointestonal bug so could have thrown it up but I didn't see it anywhere else in her box.

Ideas?

Kasia

Poland
We gave Addy her second dose of parasite medicine last night. I feel like we got it way down, past the trachea but this morning some had (seemingly) come out of her nose and down her face.

I'll give it to her in her food today but any ideas what might be wrong? She has a possible gastrointestonal bug so could have thrown it up but I didn't see it anywhere else in her box.

Ideas?
Mine Rufin after accidentally ingesting water trough nostril does "sneez/hiss" for a while because something is bothering/scratching in his throat. I think if you forced the medicine down your torts throat she had done similar thing and some of it came up. If Rufin is bothered he does it even after a while so that would be mine guess. Still if you think that Addy could be ill keep a close eye on her. I saw your other thread and vomiting could be a symptom of heavy parasite infestation. Did she ate anything today?

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Torts nose and mouth are directly joined, unlike yours. Putting stuff in the mouth and it coming out the nose is just your tort trying hard not to swallow. Hopefully enough went down :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You didn't get it back far enough on the back of the tongue.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You didn't get it back far enough on the back of the tongue.
Ugh, we put it in sooo far down because the doctor explained exactly where her trachea is. How far does that tongue go?!

@Kasia, while I know they could make her feel less like eating, I don't think the parasites are the current problem, I'm sure she's been carrying them around for years. We just couldn't get a fecal at her earlier visit.

At any rate, she's eating, just not as much as usual. She'll probably get over this sooner than I will. :oops: