Diamondback Terrapins illegal to own?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alles uber schildkroten

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Not going into any further detail than this, a good friend was raided by Texas wildlife and ALL turtles taken! None were illegal to have, but he was advised DBT's are now illegal and that's the evidence they had against him.. So next question, anyone aware of this law change??

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
From what I see in Texas hunting laws is that he needed to a Texas reptile stamp ($10) in addition to a hunting license if he is over 17.

Alles uber schildkroten

5 Year Member
Earth
Itort said:
From what I see in Texas hunting laws is that he needed to a Texas reptile stamp ($10) in addition to a hunting license if he is over 17.

He had everything... I'm thinking the laws must have just changed

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
No person may possess a diamondback terrapin at any time.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/hunt/nongame/

It is not a new change.

For further reference: TITLE 31, PART 2, CHAPTER 57, SUBCHAPTER N, DIVISION 1, RULE §57.972(g)(10)
(g) It is unlawful:
(10) for any person to knowingly take or possess a diamondback terrapin (Malaclemys terrapin) or their eggs unless the person is authorized to do so under a permit issued under Chapter 69, Subchapter J of this title (relating to Scientific, Educational, and Zoological Permits);

Alles uber schildkroten

5 Year Member
Earth
Also there is a difference when you're not taking them from the wild!!!! Bah.. I don't really care what the law says anyways.. It would be a cold day n hell before anything of mine is ever taken

EricIvins

5 Year Member
You asked and got an answer? The people that are keeping them are doing so Illegally and you've seen the outcome.......

Texas cracked down hard on their native Turtles in 2009(?), so as was stated above, this is nothing new. I would look into the law, and either find out if existing animals were granfathered in, or apply for the Permit........

Alles uber schildkroten

5 Year Member
Earth
EricIvins said:
You asked and got an answer? The people that are keeping them are doing so Illegally and you've seen the outcome.......

Texas cracked down hard on their native Turtles in 2009(?), so as was stated above, this is nothing new. I would look into the law, and either find out if existing animals were granfathered in, or apply for the Permit........

You can buy DBT's from tons of sites offline.. So I purchase in another state and it makes it illegal to own?? I haven't seen a site that's said it wouldn't ship to Texas... I'm not trying to argue.. I'm just saying that makes no sense..

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Alles uber schildkroten said:
EricIvins said:

You can buy DBT's from tons of sites offline.. So I purchase in another state and it makes it illegal to own?? I haven't seen a site that's said it wouldn't ship to Texas... I'm not trying to argue.. I'm just saying that makes no sense..

Guess what? I can do the same. However it is still Illegal for me to possess more than two. Due diligence and knowing State Law is up to the buyer. It doesn't have to make sense, but consciously violating laws puts a black eye on this trade as a whole, and we don't need anymore bad publicity.......

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
EricIvins said:

It is absoloutely not the sellers responsibility to make sure you have the proper permits or licenses (in most cases). Usually they just do it as a courtesy. It is up to YOU to know your state laws, as most any of them say.
Buying a turtle without checking whether or not they are legal is a very ignorant and irresponsible thing to do. Your friend broke the law, and he paid the price, unfortunately. Had he taken the original steps to LEGALLY own this species, this would not have happened. It's not fish and games fault; its your friend's.

Alles uber schildkroten

5 Year Member
Earth
RedfootsRule said:
It is absoloutely not the sellers responsibility to make sure you have the proper permits or licenses (in most cases). Usually they just do it as a courtesy. It is up to YOU to know your state laws, as most any of them say.
Buying a turtle without checking whether or not they are legal is a very ignorant and irresponsible thing to do. Your friend broke the law, and he paid the price, unfortunately. Had he taken the original steps to LEGALLY own this species, this would not have happened. It's not fish and games fault; its your friend's.

Yea I'm not arguing if the law was broke or not... Cause honestly I don't care if it is/was being broke by people. If you're taking care of your animals and not mistreating them then it's ok to me. You guys are turning this the other direction.. I'm not trying to argue the law or who is responsible for what knowledge they know and don't know. I just wanted to know about the law and I don't think it makes sense.. You guys are waaaaayyyy to serious about this... Anyways I got the info I needed so thanks

EricIvins said:
Guess what? I can do the same. However it is still Illegal for me to possess more than two. Due diligence and knowing State Law is up to the buyer. It doesn't have to make sense, but consciously violating laws puts a black eye on this trade as a whole, and we don't need anymore bad publicity.......

I think the people causing harm to the animals are putting a black eye on it.. Not people just wanting to own a captive breed pet...

EricIvins

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:

Yea I'm not arguing if the law was broke or not... Cause honestly I don't care if it is/was being broke by people. If you're taking care of your animals and not mistreating them then it's ok to me. You guys are turning this the other direction.. I'm not trying to argue the law or who is responsible for what knowledge they know and don't know. I just wanted to know about the law and I don't think it makes sense.. You guys are waaaaayyyy to serious about this... Anyways I got the info I needed so thanks

EricIvins said:

I think the people causing harm to the animals are putting a black eye on it.. Not people just wanting to own a captive breed pet...

Of course I'm waaaaayyyyyy to serious about this because I have to follow laws too. Nobody is turning anything around. The laws are in place to stop the commercialization of DBT's in Texas. Whether you consider it a "pet" or not, it is still commercial activity. These laws are in place for a reason. It does suck to be on the collateral damage side of things, but it is what is.......If you don't like it, make your voice be heard and try to change it........Then you can actually say you tried to do something about it......

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yea... You guys on here are a little nuts about stuff...

all I can say is if you don't go get your permits you will have to give up your animals or go to jail if you care at all about the animal pay the fee it's only the law trying to control the taking of the animals so there will be some for are kids and there kids to see in the wilds of texas and plus texas parks and wild life looks at this site and many more like it so you my want to check into the permits as you can see we all care about are pets as much as you but we also care about the laws that come with them so if you have said turtles and you care do the right thing for you and you turtles and by the way your buddy will know the law now to bad he had to learn the hard way

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
One bad apple can ruin the whole bunch. Whether its snakes, turtles, reptile neglect, etc...each case gets more media attention, bad publicity, and is one more nail in the coffin for our hobby. You say, we're a little nuts and take this too seriously? You obviously haven't been doing this very long, and simply do not care (in which case, I may be inclined to say I am ashamed to share the hobby with your ilk). Every few months, the govt is coming up with new ways to restrict how and what we keep, and for the most part, we have only ourselves to blame, because its the irresponsible faction like your friend who doing stupid crap and making the rest of us look bad.

It's like getting caught speeding and griping about it. YOU GOT CAUGHT SPEEDING! The cop was doing his job! Get over it and slow down next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.