Diatamacious Earth for worms/parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
One of our forum members mentioned that he feeds DE to his torts to help control worms/parasites. I had never heard of this and went searching on the internet. I have been using it with success to kill ants in my leopards enclosure. It was a surprise to me that people not only feed it to their pets, but they also eat it themselves. I would really like to hear comments from other members if they use this and what experience they have had with feeding it to their torts. Opinions requested too.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Seems like it could be good as a mechanical grinder too, but much less coarse than sand. I don't know about impaction, but it's about the consistency of calcium powder, so as long as your tort is hydrated I can't imagine it would be a serious issue.

It's just fossilized diatoms ground up into a powder form.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I believe there are different types of DE. I'm not well educated about the stuff, but I would assume you couldn't feed any animal the same DE you would put into your pool system. There is a food grade DE, I believe that would be a safe route.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah Neal. All the info refers only to FOOD GRADE and not the stuff that goes in a pool filter.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Mix a tablespoon spoon with a glass of water...and it tastes like dirt. I've never offered it to my tortoises but I have drank some myself. Supposedly it also has some trace minerals that may be of benefit.

One of the main uses of food grade diatomaceous earth is mixing a small amount with grains to keep bugs under control, so you've probably ingested it before just not knowingly. It is often in animal feed for the same reason.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Redstrike said:
Seems like it could be good as a mechanical grinder too, but much less coarse than sand. I don't know about impaction, but it's about the consistency of calcium powder, so as long as your tort is hydrated I can't imagine it would be a serious issue.

It's just fossilized diatoms ground up into a powder form.

On the internet it says that regular use will keep worms and parasites at bay without the use of toxic medications. Sounds really good to me, just wanting to hear from others who have used it. At least one member on the forum says it works for him.

jaizei said:
Mix a tablespoon spoon with a glass of water...and it tastes like dirt. I've never offered it to my tortoises but I have drank some myself. Supposedly it also has some trace minerals that may be of benefit.

One of the main uses of food grade diatomaceous earth is mixing a small amount with grains to keep bugs under control, so you've probably ingested it before just not knowingly. It is often in animal feed for the same reason.

That's good to know.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
We use it in agriculture in several ways. Wineries use it in filters at somepoint in the winemaking process. The discarded filter material is called filter cake, and has some good fertilizer nutrients like potassium in it. The filter cake is sold as fertilizer, and dogs seem attracted to it if they come across it in an orchard. It will kill them if they eat it. Why it kills them, I don't know.
Diatomaceous earth comes from the skeletal remains of diatoms, which are tiny sea creatures. They are pretty under a microscope. The particles are very sharp, and will scratch the wax layer of certain insects, allowing them to dissacate (dry up). It's mildly effective as an insecticide due to this. How it works in a digestive system, I don't know. Perhaps it cuts into the nematodes and parasites. It seems like it might be a little hard on the digestive system, but maybe its safe.

Steve

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I used to use it in my dairy goats (when I had them) for worming. I do have some for my torts, but use it for their enclosure for ant control. I haven't used it on their food. Just never occured to me that it would be beneficial to a tortoise that way. I get mine at the Feed Store and it is the food grade. Guess they wouldl sell that grade so that it can be used safely in the garden, for organic growers.

Status
Not open for further replies.