Diatomaceous earth, sulcata and red ants

Vchyman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New york
Hi all,

I need some advice regarding red ants. My sulcata is going to Florida in a month and the area has red ants. We are planning his setup (outdoors) but need some advice on the safety of diatomaceous earth and sulcatas living on top of it.

Can I mix the de with soil and put hay down on that? He has a 42" x36" insulated house being built as well.. Will I need to treat the inside of that, too?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried DE several times and it does nothing. Even people who suggest it will tell you that it doesn't work when wet. Everything is wet in FL.

Unfortunately, you have to use pesticides for those awful southern fire ants. Just use the pesticide carefully and don't allow the tortoise access to them. The Amdro ant granules work best. Sprinkle it on their mounds and they carry it all underground to the rest of the colony. Its a relatively safe way to get rid of them. Be proactive and get rid of them anywhere remotely near your property to keep them at bay. Don't wait until they move into your enclosure.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I've tried DE several times and it does nothing. Even people who suggest it will tell you that it doesn't work when wet. Everything is wet in FL.

Unfortunately, you have to use pesticides for those awful southern fire ants. Just use the pesticide carefully and don't allow the tortoise access to them. The Amdro ant granules work best. Sprinkle it on their mounds and they carry it all underground to the rest of the colony. Its a relatively safe way to get rid of them. Be proactive and get rid of them anywhere remotely near your property to keep them at bay. Don't wait until they move into your enclosure.
To double down on Tom's comment to be careful - I know of a group of adult Radiated tortoises that were poisoned and died from fire ant granules. Make sure there is no way your tortoises can get to it!

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york

Thank you both. I appreciate the replies. There will be dogs in the yard a few times a day so we will have to figure out the granules situation. Oh boy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you both. I appreciate the replies. There will be dogs in the yard a few times a day so we will have to figure out the granules situation. Oh boy.
I have some metal baskets that I place over the mounds and granules. I pour the granules on the opening of the mound and then cover it with the basket and stake the basket down so it can't be moved. Within an hour or two, the ants carry all the bright yellow granules down into their underground lair, and there is no evidence of it top side. I can then remove the basket, and its business as usual.

Vchyman

5 Year Member
New york
I have some metal baskets that I place over the mounds and granules. I pour the granules on the opening of the mound and then cover it with the basket and stake the basket down so it can't be moved. Within an hour or two, the ants carry all the bright yellow granules down into their underground lair, and there is no evidence of it top side. I can then remove the basket, and its business as usual.

That's brilliant