Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Quick question:

I was told that Tractor Supply sells diatomaceous earth, so I GOOGLED it, and yes, they do, however their product contains calcium bentonite. Is calcium bentonite something I want to be putting inside my animals to get rid of worms?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It may be OK. Calcium bentonite is considered GRAS (Genereally Regarded As Safe) by the FDA in food grade quality (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnDetailNavigation.cfm?rpt=scogsListing&id=35). Unfortunately, the possibility of heavy metals concentrations in excess of safe levels may exist in commercial products. As an added note, I would not expect diatomaceous earth to have any effect on internal parasites in quantities that could be safely administered in feed.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Y'vonne...... it works great for ants too! :)

Also..... you maybe able to find it at any swimming pool supply store as well..since this is the active ingredient in pool filters. ;)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I use the product you speak of on my horses and chickens. No problems. No idea if it helps, hurts, or is benign for torts.
I kind of wondered myself if it could be used as a natural wormer.
I have bought food grade DE mixed with flax seeds as a wormer for my chickens. Would there be any reason to avoid feeding flax seeds to torts. It wasn't a lot of flax. Just a little sprinkled in. I now make my own mix for the chickens, combining a few flax seeds with the DE and bentonite product.

Ann from CT

tubularseco

10 Year Member!
Regarding ants, how should it be used to be effective? What happens if it rains a lot?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
tubularseco said:
Regarding ants, how should it be used to be effective? What happens if it rains a lot?

DE acts like ground glass, cutting into the waxy coat of insects and causing them to dry out and die. It is not toxic if eaten, but is irritating if inhaled...works on all " waxy bodied" type insects/bugs

When it rains .... it washes it away ...:rolleyes:
Usually applied to dry locations only ....Odorless, Non-staining. It remains effective in the control of insects as long as it is present and kept dry!

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I used DE on my yard months ago and just found the first ant bed today. Love it. Works on fleas too

☆Jenn☆ and The Sulcata Hatchies, Cera, Ducky, and Spike!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
N2TORTS said:

Also..... you maybe able to find it at any swimming pool supply store as well..since this is the active ingredient in pool filters. ;)

The kind for pool filters is not food grade and should not be used.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: diatomaceous earth

Carol S said:
N2TORTS said:

It has fiberglass in it only use food grade not pool grade .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
Carol S said:
N2TORTS said:

HUH ????????
Diatomaceous earth is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called diatoms/ Where did fiberglass come from ? There is a difference between the commercial grade for pools ..and consumption type. But it has nothing to do with fiberglass.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
USE FOOD GRADE ONLY !!!!

Swimming pool filter DE is for use in pool filters has been heated and partially melted. The difference is the way that each type of DE is treated. Pool grade DE is calcined, meaning that is treated with very high heat. This turns the silicon dioxide that is present in the DE into crystalline silica. Pool grade diatomaceous earth has more than 1 percent 1% (in fact, it can it can range from 60-70 percent) crystalline silica.

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, on the other hand, has less than 1% crystalline silica and is not calcined. Food grade DE is clean, untreated.

Here is more info: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Earth-Diatomaceous-DE_vq2262.htm

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
USE FOOD GRADE ONLY !!!!

Swimming pool filter DE is for use in pool filters has been heated and partially melted. The difference is the way that each type of DE is treated. Pool grade DE is calcined, meaning that is treated with very high heat. This turns the silicon dioxide that is present in the DE into crystalline silica. Pool grade diatomaceous earth has more than 1 percent 1% (in fact, it can it can range from 60-70 percent) crystalline silica.

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, on the other hand, has less than 1% crystalline silica and is not calcined. Food grade DE is clean, untreated.

BINGO!....:shy:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yvonne G said:
Quick question:

I was told that Tractor Supply sells diatomaceous earth, so I GOOGLED it, and yes, they do, however their product contains calcium bentonite. Is calcium bentonite something I want to be putting inside my animals to get rid of worms?

Calcium bentonite is an added plus. It will pull and bind toxins out of the body. It will also absorb mycotoxins and mold spores. Helps with food poisoning symptoms, so good to have around for humans. I think DE has about 34 minerals, too, a pretty full range of macro and micro minerals.

I just noticed this was in the Enclosures section. DE is great externally and internally. For worming, grandpa would use it between full moon and new moon dates with other things, like raw pumpkin seeds/pepitas ground and with pureed pumpkin. I sprinkle a bit on my pets' food every day, just a tad, like adding salt or pepper, and have never had a worm problem.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You always impress me:)
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
USE FOOD GRADE ONLY !!!!

Kameo37

5 Year Member
So just to get this straight...
I can sprinkle DE all over my yard and if my sulcata eats it, it's ok. Beneficial, in fact.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: diatomaceous earth

N2TORTS said:
mike taylor said:
Carol S said:
N2TORTS said:

HUH ????????
Diatomaceous earth is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called diatoms/ Where did fiberglass come from ? There is a difference between the commercial grade for pools ..and consumption type. But it has nothing to do with fiberglass.
[/quot
sorry I said it wrong it was not fiberglass its crystalline silica that is the bad ingredient in pool grade that is toxic to animals and people .

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Kameo37 said:
So just to get this straight...
I can sprinkle DE all over my yard and if my sulcata eats it, it's ok. Beneficial, in fact.

Yes. If you're up for it, I think 2 tablespoons in a glass of water is recommended serving for a person.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you look at though a magnifying glass it looks like shards of glass . That is why I thought of fiberglass . When the pool guy told me about it thats what he said fiberglass and it cuts into the bugs exoskeleton killing the bug .

Status
Not open for further replies.