Did I make a big mistake?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
This spring I found a random seedling growing in the yard that I, and the people who chimed in here, all thought was a type of cucumber or squash, so I moved it into Odin's playpen. Well.....this is it now.

What the heck is it? Do I need to try and remove this vining beast? Is it safe for Odin? I have never seen him nibble any part of it.

Attachments

• 101.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
  • 111.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 115.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 30

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Have you tried to find it here http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp. I have seen it before, but don't know the name or if safe or not. @Yvonne G might know.
Yeah, I have tried a bunch of sites and I have found several that it could be. The closest match so far looks to be manroot but I have never seen it in person before, heck, I had never even heard of it, so I just don't know. Also, if it is manroot I don't know if it's tort safe.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, it's native to illinois, not sure where you are. I did find where wild animals have not been seen eating it. I would say, that seeing your tort also is not eating it, I would say it's not animal friendly, as much as they don't like something about it. You probably could leave it, unless she starts to nibble on it. Or pull it to play it safe. I did find that the fruit will give humans stomach aches and diarrhea. But the seeds are used for humans. Read this http://commonsensehome.com/wild-cucumber/
Wait an see if the other sight that Yvonne knows of, that I can never remember will say anything.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
From what I am finding it is toxic to canines, but birds readily eat the seeds...It contains a bitter compound called Cucurbitacin. It may also cause hallucinations in humans. - I am not sure if this applies only to the fruit or the leaves as well. Go take a sample and if you see purple giraffes you have your answer. (The trip supposedly lasts 6-8 hours and has no noted side effects - per a site called "Drugs Forum", haha)