Didn't know there were different kinds of Greeks......pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
got any idea what kind of Greek Mr. Pickles is???

Attachments

• DSC01022.JPG
    DSC01022.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 144

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Mr. Pickles is a beautiful tortoise. Please post some pictures of his plastron too.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
A bit tough to tell from this angle, and I'd like to see more pictures, but he might not be a Greek at all. He looks like one of the Indotestudo species, probably Indotestudo elongata.

The Indotestudo spp. get mistaken for the Testudo spp. all the time, and indeed they are related, along with the African pancake tortoise (Malacochersus tornieri). However, Indotestudos come from wetter environments (tropical Southeast Asia), and like all forest tortoises, they are a bit more omnivorous than their Mediterranean cousins.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
A little off topic, but Mr. Pickles is an awesome name! :)

Unfortunately, I can't help with the ID.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
A bit tough to tell from this angle, and I'd like to see more pictures, but he might not be a Greek at all. He looks like one of the Indotestudo species, probably Indotestudo elongata.

The Indotestudo spp. get mistaken for the Testudo spp. all the time, and indeed they are related, along with the African pancake tortoise (Malacochersus tornieri). However, Indotestudos come from wetter environments (tropical Southeast Asia), and like all forest tortoises, they are a bit more omnivorous than their Mediterranean cousins.

That isn't an Elongated at all. More than likely a Golden Greek, but there would need to be more detailed pictures to give a guesstimate on what your Tortoise is.......

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
My guess would be Golden Greek, but wait for someone like GBtortoises to chime in.
Maybe take some pics viewing the shell from straight above, as well as of the plastron. That would help with the identification.

jmhoesch said:
got any idea what kind of Greek Mr. Pickles is???

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
Ok, so you want to see his underside? Ok, I can do that...............I'll be back in a little while w/ more detailed pics. Thanks everyone!!!

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Looks like a golden Greek. I have seen some in pet smart. They are recent Jordan imports or so say the importers. I have seen variations depending on their geographical origins.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
Sorry it took me so long for the pics......I think I got some good ones.

So......you think Mr. Pickles is a Golden Greek?

001.JPG003.JPG002.JPG005.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
OMG WHAT???????????? Our Mr Pickles is a MRS?????????????? Are you sure???????????? That stupid Petsmart said they only get males in! O' Crap!!!!!!!!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hmmm, GeoTerraTestudo, I would have said 'male' - the tail has a slit-shaped cloaca, rather than a pucker. The tail also looks a bit long to be a female... how big is Pickles? He/she may just still have some growing to do, and the gender will become more apparent in time. :)

GeoTerraTestudo said:
Yep, I do think it's a Golden Greek (Testudo graeca terrestris or T. graeca floweri). Looks like a female, to boot! :)

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
jmhoesch said:
OMG WHAT???????????? Our Mr Pickles is a MRS?????????????? Are you sure???????????? That stupid Petsmart said they only get males in! O' Crap!!!!!!!!

lol well maybe the lipstick fits Mrs. Pickles. Well the positive side is its easier to change a name to Mr. or Mrs. . I guess you know for sure in time

Status
Not open for further replies.