Diff. between lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

amajo75

5 Year Member
Hello all....I am new and loving your very informative site. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences!

I am looking to set up a new indoor enclosure. Will I need two lights (UVB and Heat Lamp) and a heat rock? Just want to make sure I am considering the correct lights.

Thanks
John

This part was said by Wellington (Barb)

Hello and Welcome:). What kind of tortoise? No heat rocks, they are dangerous. The Mercury vapor bulb gives out both heat and uv. Then a ceramic heat emitter is really good for colder nights, as they give off heat, but no light. If you use a fluorescent tube uv then a basking bulb will be needed and still possibly a ceramic heat emitter for night.

Back to John...Russian or possibly Leopard.

John
I am still learning here. So please bear with me.....the Mercury Vapor bulb is different than the CHE and different than the basking bulb?

Due to a Moderation malfunction, several posts were merged into one post, but they are from two posters (John and Barb). It could not be fixed, but I hope it is now more clear for you all to understand what has happened above. Thanks... the Moderation Team

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
A mercury vapour bulb (MVB) provides heat for basking and proper UVB. I know many keepers use a brand called PowerSun by ZooMed in either 100 or 160 watts. A CHE is just a ceramic heating element that just provides heat, usually for night time use and it is not a light. Good to maintain heat and complete darkness for your tort. A basking bulb I believe people use this term to mean MVB. Depending on the age of the tort, if he is outside enough year round to get some sun, an ordinary light bulb is fine as well. He'll get his UV from the sun which is the best. Maintaining adequte indoor temps is most important, so whatever combination you pick, for a leopard it should never fall below 80 degrees anywhere in the enclosure. And maximum 110 degrees for a basking area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you get a mvb (mercury vapor bulb) that will give off heat, light and uv. Then you would only need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for night, heat, no light or uv.

amajo75 said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Would this bulb work for a heat lamp and UVB?

John

Yes, that is the best one out. Then pick up a CHE for night time heat, if night neat is needed.

amajo75

5 Year Member
What about clamp on fixtures? And thermostat for the Che?

All of these can plug into a normal wall outlet, correct?

John

One more thing. Does anyone use the zoo med tortoise house? How to you regulate the temp in the hide if you cannot put a lamp above it?

John

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
amajo75 said:
What about clamp on fixtures? And thermostat for the Che?

All of these can plug into a normal wall outlet, correct?

John

One more thing. Does anyone use the zoo med tortoise house? How to you regulate the temp in the hide if you cannot put a lamp above it?

John

Make sure the fixtures are rated for the bulbs. Any bulb over 100 watts will most likely require the ceramic fixtures and not plastic. Set the lights on timers and the CHE on a thermostat and your enclosure will run itself. They all can be plugged into the standard outlets. As for the zoo med enclosure.. you can probably build something much larger for the same price or buy a temporary large concrete mixing tub for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.