Difference between caring for a baby and an adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny525

5 Year Member
I am a bit confused... I know (or at least assume) there are some things you would do differently for a baby rt, and I am thinking of getting one. Before I do, I want to know everything about caring for them. I have been able to find information about caring for an adult, but not a baby!

Are the temperatures the same as they would be for an adult? I think you need night heating for a baby, so what would th night temp need to be? Also, at what age do tortoises mature? And any other info would be helpful... Thank you!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Baby Russian tortoises can be kept nearly identical to adults, this is also true of other Testudo species as well as most other tortoise species in general. The major difference between babies and adults is body mass. Babies, because of their small size can dehydrate much more rapidly in very warrm conditions. In captivity this is usually remedied by providing humid hide areas and/or a substrate containing more moisture than would be used for an adult. Another way to reduce the chance of dehydration is to provide a bit cooler basking temperatures for babies compared to adults. Babies usually do better on a substrate that is has smaller size particles and is easier for them to dig into. Russian tortoises, regardless of age and size are a true burrowing species and babies as well as adults will often bury themselves for extended periods of time. Other than a difference in hydration needs and substrate baby and adult Russians can be kept very much the same in terms of diet, lighting and most other aspects of captive care, just on different size scales.

Status
Not open for further replies.