Difference between home depot cypress mulch vs petco/pet smart cypress mulch?

Hzwolun

Location (City and/or State)
Fairfax County VA
The price is like x5-10 more
Need help with substrates I guess
I been using the petco ones since forever

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ive been using Lowes “cypress mulch” for years. No reason to pay more for stuff. Thats all i use now… Lowes Cypress Mulch.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I buy whichever is cheapest between cypress mulch, orchid bark, and coconut husk....

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The price is like x5-10 more
Need help with substrates I guess
I been using the petco ones since forever
Just make sure the hardware store stuff is plain cypress mulch with nothing else added. No colors and no "cypress blends".

Fine grade orchid bark is a better substrate for most applications. AKA: Repti-bark in the pet stores and fir bark in some garden centers.

Quixx66

Louisiana
I get the pet brand I know is sterilized. Don’t want any nasty surprises. Worth it for my pets health and my peace of mind.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Just make sure the hardware store stuff is plain cypress mulch with nothing else added. No colors and no "cypress blends".

Fine grade orchid bark is a better substrate for most applications. AKA: Repti-bark in the pet stores and fir bark in some garden centers.
Never to contradict Tom, the bearer of fantastic tort advice, but if you have allergies try just a bit of the orchid bark first. After swollen eyes, stuffiness, and sneezing, I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. Those were my symptoms, not my little tort’s.