Difference between sulcata and desert?

Allison Hurtado

I've had a tortoise for about 10 years but I just saw someone with Sulcata tortoises for sale and now I'm not sure if I have a desert tortoise or a sulcata. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

Attachments

• IMG_20140523_071353_799.jpg
    IMG_20140523_071353_799.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern CA
Welcome to the forum! I love your tort!!! :D
I know others will answer better than I can. :) I'm still new at the Tortoise thing. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Allison and welcome to the Forum!

That tortoise looks similar to a leopard tortoise, but I think its a sulcata.

The main difference between a sulcata and a desert tortoise is that the sulcata gets much, much bigger. Sulcata don't hibernate and you have to keep them warm in the winter time. Other than that, they eat the same stuff and basically live in the same environment except for warmer winters for the sulcata.

Please post more pictures of your tortoise...looking down from above, from the front and the underside too

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a sulcata, Allison. How do you care for the tortoise during cold weather?

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a sulcata. He is on the small side for a 10 year old. Where a bouts in the country do you live?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom: I have a sneaking suspicion that this tortoise has been kept as a desert tortoise, and hibernated during the winters. This would explain his small size and unhealthy-looking shell.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Allison Hurtado

The past few years he has been indoors and I only recently took him from my mom's house to mine where he is outdoors now. We live in Phoenix. I've been reading up. Looks like I need to build him a home. We have a cinder block fence all the way around our yard. He's been digging under one large bush/tree for shade and also spending a lot of time in one shady corner of the yard but it looks like he will need more insulation during the winter?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
An adorable tortoise is what you have....and it is not a desert tortoise. Just get him on a good diet, good outside time, ALOT of hydration and space for walking and mucking about....you can even do a small watering/mud hole spot for him...especially with the heat in your area....also make sure shade and cooler place to retreat to during the heat of the day.....I just love the face and the shell is good and will get even better as he acclimates to his new surroundings....good job on providing him a better set up...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California