Differences between red-foot and yellow-foots discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
RE: Differences between red-foot and yellow-foots

I am glad this was bumped up. Although I have leopard it is very informative.

Mel

5 Year Member

Nice thread. My Yellow Foot is a Female according to the flat bottom she has. Her shell is 10 inches long by about 6.5 wide. How big do female Yellow Foots get? Is there any important needs I should know about her? Will she lay unfertile eggs?

Mel

5 Year Member

I was wondering per your pics if you used something on their shells to make them shiny and is it to assist in health as well as appearance? They do look great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Its probably just water, Mel. A lot of us will wet the tortoise for picture-taking to make their patterning stand out better.

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member

Wow... very awesome, I have been wanting a tortoise for a while and have been trying to decide what kind.... very aesome to see the pictures comparing the two species for identification!

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Note also that the inguinal (groin) scutes on redfoots are pronounced -
the inguinal scutes on yellowfoots are reduced.
This is the most consistent and uniform distinguishing characteristic of both.
And redfoots in some parts of their extensive range rival the yellowfoot in size, up to circa sixty centimeters (two feet).

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada

I love this post I'm new to this site but a few questions that either weren't asked or I missed the answer but are red foots and yellows able to breed together? Just curious also it was mentioned that red foots are more personable then yellows but for a beginner is there a better choice or a recomendation as to what to start with rather yellow or red?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Rover15 said:
I love this post I'm new to this site but a few questions that either weren't asked or I missed the answer but are red foots and yellows able to breed together? Just curious also it was mentioned that red foots are more personable then yellows but for a beginner is there a better choice or a recomendation as to what to start with rather yellow or red?

Redfooted tortoises are more readily available.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada

[/quote]

Redfooted tortoises are more readily available.

[/quote]

I know they are more readily available but should I lean to one over the other as a beginner my girlfriend and I love the looks of the yellow foot but not much of the information we have read up on differs between the two I have a lot of book smarts with common pet torts but no hands on experiance but I am looking to buy one now that I feel ready it will be either a red foot or yellow if not one of each I just want opinions as to what would be better if either. Hope I make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.