Different options on how to feed tortoise. Mine is making a mess!!!

Nicole edwards

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Anyone found any ways to leave food out for your tortoise in their indoor enclosure without them making a huge mess?? I'm very OCD and it's driving me insane that I can not keep his cage clean because his food is so much fun to run through according to him. It WAS on a cutting board in the back corner. image.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
U can't really change them, some R neat &,some are messy it's the luok of the draw

Rue

Canada
Only thing I can come up with is feeding him on a larger flat pan (like a cookie sheet), and then taking the entire pan out afterwards. You can still put the rock on the pan (and the greens on the rock) to keep the beak trimmed.

My baby does most of her eating in about an hour...after that the greens just dry up...so I don't see a need to leave it in longer.

If you do feed another little treat during the day, it can still go on the rock (without the flat pan)...because it won't leave as much as a mess...

I hope that idea made sense.:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What are you feeding? It looks like grass and clover. Try adding some broadleaf weeds and plants to the mix, and move the feeding station out away from the wall. Tortoises walk the walls.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Anyone found any ways to leave food out for your tortoise in their indoor enclosure without them making a huge mess?? I'm very OCD and it's driving me insane that I can not keep his cage clean because his food is so much fun to run through according to him. It WAS on a cutting board in the back corner. View attachment 170937

I would suggest that you offer the food, big pieces, little pieces and all tossed together....place it in the enclosure...then, walk away...and don't look again....when it is food goddess time, then bring a little bag with you, put on a disposable glove, reach in and remove all old food, place that old food in the bag....pull the glove off and toss in the bag...tie the bag and get rid of....

Add food and repeat again...for the rest of you and the tortoise days....:D while remembering that you are hosting a dirt loving animal that have no hands....so the mess comes with the critter....you will need to get over your OCD and just let the tort be a tort ....just sayin

FloppyJellyRoll

I use the base of a clay pot... Trims their beak and is raised for less mess.

Attachments

• 1461374420539-1977867638.jpg
    1461374420539-1977867638.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10