different sources of heat besides CHE/RED lights

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out a different source of heat besides CHE's or Red bulbs i'm looking for something that spreads a little more evenly with no focus point CHE's even have a slight focus point 

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I use lots of these, and love them:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

I've mostly got the 80 watt panels. No complaints. Plenty of praise. I think they would be great for a RF enclosure.

I run mine on one of these:
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller
https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/MTPRTC

Thanks tom! how many 80w would you recommend for a 3x6? im currently switching because i have some pyramiding happening no matter what i do upping soaks to 4-5x times a week along with keeping water in the enclosure seems to work my only though is eliminate a focused heat source on him humidity stay's about 85 % sometimes a little higher

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think one in a closed chamber would probably work well enough. Having two would spread out the heat even more and the thermostat would keep it from ever overheating.

I think these will do exactly what you are attempting to do by "un-concentrating" the heat and spreading it out.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I think one in a closed chamber would probably work well enough. Having two would spread out the heat even more and the thermostat would keep it from ever overheating.

I think these will do exactly what you are attempting to do by "un-concentrating" the heat and spreading it out.

could they be mounted vertically? so instead of coming from the top it comes from the sides?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
could they be mounted vertically? so instead of coming from the top it comes from the sides?

I did that once. I didn't like it. They aren't designed to be used that way and I think it allows the tortoises to get too close to them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
so i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out a different source of heat besides CHE's or Red bulbs i'm looking for something that spreads a little more evenly with no focus point CHE's even have a slight focus point 

Reptile heating cables.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I did that once. I didn't like it. They aren't designed to be used that way and I think it allows the tortoises to get too close to them.

ah ok thanks for the heads up im sure you saved me trouble
Reptile heating cables.

i already have some under my soil they're just hot enough to trigger the humidity