Different testudo breeds hanging out

Meesh

Location (City and/or State)
BRUNSWICK
Just curious what ppl's opinions would be on different breeds of the testudo family of the same sex "mingling" for lack of a better word. For example female Hermann's & female Russians basking outside together? Is there danger or harm in that?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just curious what ppl's opinions would be on different breeds of the testudo family of the same sex "mingling" for lack of a better word. For example female Hermann's & female Russians basking outside together? Is there danger or harm in that?

In general, from everything that I have read, the consensus is that different species of tortoise shouldn't be housed together since they carry different “bugs” and could easily transmit. So, if they are basking in the same area - thats pretty much like housing - and it wouldnt be recommended. There’s also the bullying & biting & aggression that would go along with torts being in the same basking area.

Meesh

BRUNSWICK
In general, from everything that I have read, the consensus is that different species of tortoise shouldn't be housed together since they carry different “bugs” and could easily transmit. So, if they are basking in the same area - thats pretty much like housing - and it wouldnt be recommended. There’s also the bullying & biting & aggression that would go along with torts being in the same basking area.
Yeah thats the only concerns ive come across online as well besides cross breeding but I'm just talking females. Would the germs they carry really vary that much being in the same testudo family? I have allowed my female hermanns and female Russians to sun bathe together & its seems they don't even know theyre different from each other. They lay bunched up together. Legs all sprawled everywhere heads cocked to the side sleeping together lol ... I havent noticed any aggressive behavior. Which ive noticed is fairly rare in females anyway. My males on the other hand it could never happen. Male Russian could care less hes layed back but my male hermanns are extremely territorial & honory. But like you said the bug situation.. So that prob wont happen again. Thanks