Digging corner of indoor enclosure

babytortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
The past week I've noticed lil Spike digging in the same corner of his indoor enclosure and ending up on his back. It's as if he's trying to dig up the walls which causes him to fall over. I have found him on his back on more than one occasion and usually it's when i check on him in the morning. He's housed in a sterilite plastic container with coco fiber substrate/reptibark and I've put contact paper around the outside so it is not see-through. The ambient temp is always between 80-85 F with 99% humidity and basking spot around 95 F. I've been bringing him outside for sunshine/warmth. It's been humid and hot here in the afternoons and I provide plenty of shade when outside.

Could he be digging in the same corner trying to get out? due to temp issues? boredom? all of the above? How can I deter him from doing this? Any suggestions? I don't mind the digging so much, it's when he's on his back is what worries me.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Does he have places to hide and plenty of soil to bury himself in if he wants? How large is the enclosure?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I don't think he is trying to dig out. Might be just trying to hide. Do you have a hide box for him to go into?

babytortie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Does he have places to hide and plenty of soil to bury himself in if he wants? How large is the enclosure?
The enclosure is 33" x 20.5" x 13" and there is about 3-4" of substrate. There is a terracotta pot on it's side dug a little into the substrate that he sleeps in all the time, but no other hide spots other than that.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
How big is the tortoise? I would provide more hiding spots for him. Maybe he wants more choices to hide in. If where that pot is is not where he wants to be at the time, then he has to be out in the open. If you give him more hiding spots he can choose where he wants to be and not vulnerable.

babytortie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Spike's still small ... 2.25", 43 grams. I'll add another hide spot and see if that helps.