Digging Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
Hello Everybody!!!

My new baby sully is digging in one area of his tortoise pen all the time! He sleeps there in the corner where he is digging for the last three nights (the pen is new to him/she I picked him/she up yesterday). The pen is custom made out of a ABS materal from Marty made the keeper for the kept. Any ideas on why he is digging in that area an is it normal? Also dandelions how often can I feed them to him/she should I consider them a treat and how often can I feed them to the tort. And how often would any of you fellow members feed him/she an apple and can you leave the skin on the apple (any apple ok). I've been looking into a hay mixture for my buddy and was wondering what your thoughts were on Oxbow salade style mix for the Tortoise? He is about 3 to four inch long and very active!. I found him/she in the water bowl today about 3 time for around 1 to 2 mins drinking and trying to get out of the bowl. Should I still soak him/she if the tort is doing so?

By the way this form ROCKS!!!

Thank You For Any Help!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The digging into a regular spot is normal. Dandelions are good 2 or 3 times a week in my opinion. I would not feed any apple at all. "Salad Style" is an excellent product and I highly recommend it. I got mine from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com. My preferred way of using it is to sprinkle it over pre-wetted chopped greens and mixing it all up. They tend to eat it better if its a little rehydrated and not so dry.

It sounds like your water bowl might not be the best. They should have to expend much effort to get in and out of it. I prefer terra cotta plant saucers. They are shallow, safe, and the tortoises like them. You should still soak a baby every day for around the first six months or so.

And I have to agree with your assessment of this forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:) fruit is not really recommended. If you think you need to feed it, maybe no more then once a month, never is better. I would still soak him at least every other day, for 20-30minutes. Spring mix, and other dark leafy greens and any natural grazing is the best. Mazuri tortoise diet is good a couple times a week. Check out the tortoisetable.org for edible plants

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hello!!!

Sulcatas are amazing animals, and many of them dig; it's very natural burrowing behavior. I have a 75lb. sulcata who dug a huge burrow this summer that's probably 3 feet wide, 10 feet long, and the lowest point is about 5 feet down in the ground. I've been meaning to take a picture of it to post, it's pretty cool.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
shellysmom said:
Hello!!!

Sulcatas are amazing animals, and many of them dig; it's very natural burrowing behavior. I have a 75lb. sulcata who dug a huge burrow this summer that's probably 3 feet wide, 10 feet long, and the lowest point is about 5 feet down in the ground. I've been meaning to take a picture of it to post, it's pretty cool.

Nice! I love to see a pic and also of your buddy very cool.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hello and Welcome! Tom's assessment of digging in one area is absolutely correct! I'd like to see some pictures of the enclosure...your sully too! Fruit has no benefit for him. If you want to supplement his normal diet...which is great btw, offer a little chopped cactus (opuntia) and a little chopped pumpkin (including the seeds). You should soak him a minimum of 30 minutes a day...EVERYDAY! If you keep him outside...you don't need to supplement with calcium. Cactus, mulberry, collared and mustard greens will take care of the calcium...and an hour or two of direct sunlight will take care of the D3. Here's the link to a CARE SHEET I worked up a couple months back!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-52524.html#axzz286J9Sa3f

Status
Not open for further replies.